Need to replace my HD555's, Not sure with what.
Aug 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Twig

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!

I've looked into a few different headphones and I'm not sure exactly what everything means so I'll base all my desires off of the 555's.

First of all, the 555's are fantastic for what I paid for them. They've done me a great service over the past years, including two year long deployments without an issue. I actually bought them then based off an overall suggestion thread here on head-fi.

They are ridiculously comfortable. I wear them probably about 4-6 hours a day, and have worn them for 14+ hours some days and never once have my ears felt irritated or uncomfortable. There's been more than once in the past when I sit down at my computer in the morning and immediately put on my headphones but forget to turn music on and realize an hour or so later that I'm wearing my headphones for no reason lol. Finding a pair that are or nearly are as comfortable is important.

The sound of my 555's sound great to me. I have minimal experience with any other sets worth mentioning so take that however. I do listen to a lot of hip-hop and electronic music. I would ideally like something with as high quality all-around as the 555's but more bass. 

Price. I think I got my set for around $60 on Amazon about 3 or 4 years ago. I understand that was pretty much a good sale price on these, so I know to expect a higher price. I do not wish to spend more than $150. I also don't want to only look at headphones at exactly $150. The cheaper the price the better. If it goes over $150, it really needs to be something real special. I just don't have the money I wish I had for headphones. 

Hopefully that's enough information to start some suggestions. Thanks all!

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Used HD558s sell sometimes for just over $100, on Amazon and eBay.

What source(s) do you plug the headphones into?

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 5
Do you wear glasses?  If not the Philips Cityscape Downtown is an excellent headphone.

So is the Creative Aurvana Live! be it a tad flimsy.

The ATH-M50 is another excellent headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back