Need to replace my Element 2 with a new stack or combo
Sep 4, 2022 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kayan

100+ Head-Fier
My Element 2 is in the process of dying. I’ve got some crazy static/buzzing coming from many inputs and outputs. I’ve tried new and different cables - rca, usb, aux.

My source chain is mostly my desktop PC (motherboard) > Element 2 > headphones/speakers.

My headphones are LCD-2F (my main) and Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon.

Speakers are Kanto yu4 via RCA.

I’m looking for a new combo or stack unit(s). I like the simplicity of combo units, but am open to either. I LOVE the sound of tubes, with old pairs of headphones I used to own, but I’m not sure how they will pair with the LCD-2.

I like warmer sound signatures and dislike brightness. I’ll be using it for gaming and music (rap core, alternative, rock), in that order.

Budget is probably 500-600 on the top end, or I can buy cheaper now and save for something better early next year.

Sep 4, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 6
You can get a Topping A30 Pro and see if the Element II's RCA OUT still works well. Otherwise, you can just get a Schiit Fulla as a DAC/Pre-Amp and leave the volume pot on full blast.

Sep 4, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 6
Since you like to switch between SS and tube, the Schiit Lyr Plus will give a tube sound when a tube is in the socket and SS sound when there is no tube. This also should apply to the pre-outs for when you want to use speakers. You can a DAC, like a Modi, later on or when specials are anticipated around the corner. Check out the Schiit Lyr Plus here:

https://www.schiit.com/products/lyr-4

Sep 5, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for all these options.

I really like the less desk space of a combo, but if one part goes wrong I have to effectively replace both, and that sucks. The form factor of the Element is awesome.

My first amp was a Fiio and then a Schiit Valhalla. Their stuff is clean looking, but doesn’t seem to have the best dacs (at least for the reasonable prices ones). Am I wrong?

Would a topping or SMSL be a better buy for me?

Sep 5, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for all these options.

I really like the less desk space of a combo, but if one part goes wrong I have to effectively replace both, and that sucks. The form factor of the Element is awesome.

My first amp was a Fiio and then a Schiit Valhalla. Their stuff is clean looking, but doesn’t seem to have the best dacs (at least for the reasonable prices ones). Am I wrong?

Would a topping or SMSL be a better buy for me?

You will need longer cables, but you can have each part separate and still have a clean desktop look. If you want a cheap and unique-sounding DAC that will take up less space, then look at this one:

https://shop.musicteck.com/products/lotoo-paw-s1-portable-usb-dac-amp-like-new

Users who are viewing this thread

Back