Need to replace my broken UE SuperFi 4vi's - help out a newbie
Apr 11, 2009 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shorty34

New Head-Fier
Well, unfortunately my UE Super.Fi 4vi's are causing me problems. Although they're only 3 months old, the connection between the headphone cable and the input jack is faulty. It's causing the sound to intermittently cut out which is unfortunate.

I plan on going to the store I purchased the UE's at (Future Shop) and exchange them. It's too bad because Future Shop doesn't carry the UE Super.Fi 4vi's in store stock in my province. I assume they will let me exchange them for a pair of headphones that are of equal value.

Ideally, I would prefer earphones that are compatible with my iPhone, but by the looks of it my options are limited. Overall, the sound quality and fitment is much more important to me than iPhone compatibility.

The UE's were my first set of quality earphones that I have ever purchased, so I really don't have any idea as to the quality of similarly priced earphones. Here are my options (limited to what's available at Future Shop)

- Shure SE115-K
- Shure SE102
- Bose in-ear headphones

Yeah, unfortunately these are what the store carries. I'm not even sure what the difference between the two Shure's are. However, if the UE Super.Fi 4vi's are much better than the above options, I would consider seeing if they could order a pair in but im sure it would be a hassle.

Edit:

In case this helps, I listen to classic rock and blues style music like the Black Keys, Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zeppelin etc.

Many thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shorty34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, unfortunately my UE Super.Fi 4vi's are causing me problems. Although they're only 3 months old, the connection between the headphone cable and the input jack is faulty. It's causing the sound to intermittently cut out which is unfortunate.

I plan on going to the store I purchased the UE's at (Future Shop) and exchange them. It's too bad because Future Shop doesn't carry the UE Super.Fi 4vi's in store stock in my province. I assume they will let me exchange them for a pair of headphones that are of equal value.

Ideally, I would prefer earphones that are compatible with my iPhone, but by the looks of it my options are limited. Overall, the sound quality and fitment is much more important to me than iPhone compatibility.

The UE's were my first set of quality earphones that I have ever purchased, so I really don't have any idea as to the quality of similarly priced earphones. Here are my options (limited to what's available at Future Shop)

- Shure SE115-K
- Shure SE102
- Bose in-ear headphones

Yeah, unfortunately these are what the store carries. I'm not even sure what the difference between the two Shure's are. However, if the UE Super.Fi 4vi's are much better than the above options, I would consider seeing if they could order a pair in but im sure it would be a hassle.

Edit:

In case this helps, I listen to classic rock and blues style music like the Black Keys, Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zeppelin etc.

Many thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

My UE Super.Fi 4vi's are doing the same thing. I just noticed it yesterday. I have had them for about fifteen months, but I have only taken them out of the case and used them maybe eight to ten times in all the time that I have had them. (I don't really use the iPod feature of my iPhone frequently...) I also noticed these tiny chips in the finish on the body of each earphone. Overall very disappointed in this limited experience with a UE product. Can't help with your selection but I wouldn't be too upset about not being able to get the UE's. Manufacturing defect?

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 10
if you must have a mic, bose quiet comfort 3 is actually quite decent comparing to the IEM in range(for its price, not really worthwhile)

since you are limited to FS only, you should be getting some discount i assume? give that a try.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Where in Canada are you located? (assuming that much since you mentioned FS). Phonak Audeo with mic would be a good choice.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm definitely upset that the UE's have broken in such a short time. I as well am very careful with them. If I want to do an exchange, it'll have to be for headphones that are available at Future Shop, and are of the same value. From looking at the website, these earphones sell for the same and are basically my only options:

- Shure SE115-K
- Shure SE102
- Bose in-ear headphones

The only quality earbuds I have experience with are the UE Super.Fi's. Which of the above options would deliver the best sound quality when compared to my UE's? When push comes to shove, I would rather sacrifice a mic for sound quality.

Oh, and K_19 I am located in Vancouver.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 10
If a choice must be made between those three IEM's, then I'd probably go with the 102s. I believe 102's are the equivalent of the old e2c (pure speculation based on design and specs) and they were pretty decent for a low end IEM when I once had it. It may also have the mic that you are looking for (there is a version of this with a mic and one without) so that is a plus. 115's are kind of a unknown commodity right now as it hasn't been out that long, and the Bose In-Ear is fairly bassy and unbalanced (and yes, I did own those at one time as well my pre head-fi days).

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a choice must be made between those three IEM's, then I'd probably go with the 102s. I believe 102's are the equivalent of the old e2c (pure speculation based on design and specs) and they were pretty decent for a low end IEM when I once had it. It may also have the mic that you are looking for (there is a version of this with a mic and one without) so that is a plus. 115's are kind of a unknown commodity right now as it hasn't been out that long, and the Bose In-Ear is fairly bassy and unbalanced (and yes, I did own those at one time as well my pre head-fi days).

Well, yesterday I exchanged the headphones at Future Shop. They had the 102's and the 115's. The 102's were $89 and the 115's were the same price as my in store "credit" at $119. I opted for the 115's because they're newer (and I assumed the sound might be better) than the 102's, plus I didn't have anything else I wanted to buy with the remaining $30.

I'm actually incredibly pleased with the Shure 115's. For one, the foam sleeves are amazing. The UE's didn't fit in my ear like the 115's and were nowhere as comfortable as the Shures. The sound quality is much, much better as well.

I was surprised at how much punch these little phones could pack when compared to the UE's. Not to mention that the highs are really quite clear and overall I find the 115's have a nice warm tone to them. With my UE's I found that the treble was sometimes quite sharp and unpleasant. I listened to a few of my favourite albums in FLAC format - The Who's Live at Leeds, the discography of the Black Keys and some Hendrix tracks. I'm really happy with the tone they deliver for classic rock, and the lossless audio truly sounds much better on the 115's.

My next pair of earphones are definitely going to be Shure's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back