Need to replace MAudio Q40s
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jwalsh1

Head-Fier
I’m a long time lurker, but don’t post often. I’m hoping you can help me.

Sadly my Q40’s are starting to cut out. I’m going to open them up and see if there’s something I can do to save them, but I’m the event I cannot, Id like to get a replacement set of cans.

I LOVE the sig of the Q40’s. I’m sensitive to treble and prefer a warm, fun sound. I find these have all of that.

Is there something very close to the Q40’s that I should consider?

Requirements- great bass, comfortable treble, warm, fun, preferably drivable without an amp. Around the ear (not on), and closed back. Primary use is air travel. Do not want active noise cancelling. I have iems (ibassoit01) but am looking for closed headphones.

Music ranges from idm/ambient to power, black, death metal and everything in between.

Edit- forgot to add up to around $400, give or take $100

Thank you all in advance!!

Jason

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Perhaps the Meze 99 Classics? I have both. I have yet to find a dynamic driver with bass as visceral as the Q40. Differences - Bass on the Classics is looser. Treble has a little better extension, but never bright or harsh. Mids are more forward, but in a very good way. The Classics have more energy, and are more engaging.
The Q40 is more balanced in the mids and highs, but the treble rolls off pretty early, and doesn't have much sparkle to it. It's pretty laid back in the upper mids and low treble. It's an easy listen, and not as fun as the Classics.
Now that I think about it, the 1 more triple driver has a more similar sound signature to the Q40 than the Classics. The mids may sit a little further back, but they definitely don't sound as closed and in your head as the Q40. Better instrument separation and imaging as well. My Q40 hasn't gotten any head time for a good while. I should start using them, or consider selling them.

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Thank you for the reply! Ive been eyeing the Meze 99's as they seem almost perfect. The 1mores also look great, thanks for that suggestion. My only concerns are Ive read both of these are more on-ear rather than true circumaural. For example the Sen Momentum 2.0's over ears actually are on ear for me. Because I use my closed headphones primarily for flights and office work where Im looking for long term comfort and isolation, true around the ear design is important.

Any thoughts on the Vmoda M100?

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 9
Thank you for the reply! Ive been eyeing the Meze 99's as they seem almost perfect. The 1mores also look great, thanks for that suggestion. My only concerns are Ive read both of these are more on-ear rather than true circumaural. For example the Sen Momentum 2.0's over ears actually are on ear for me. Because I use my closed headphones primarily for flights and office work where Im looking for long term comfort and isolation, true around the ear design is important.

Any thoughts on the Vmoda M100?
Neither headphone pad will completely surround your ear like the Q40. I also have Beyerdynamic pads on mine. I have smaller ears that aren't overly sensitive, so the 99s and 1 mores don't bug me. If they sit on my ears, I don't notice. Keep in mind that Meze changed the pads. I have the original pads. The new pads are thicker, with a larger interior circumference. Quite a few people have complained that the new pads degraded the sound quality. As for the M100s, it's been a while since I demoed them. I remember that they sounded fairly good, but they didn't make me want to take them home immediately. They had a more consumer friendly tuning than the Q40. I don't recall the pads being all that large either. You may want to look into and research some other professional, monitoring like cans. The Q40 was such, but it was also fun, rather than analytical. Have you looked at anything from Shure or Beyerdynamic?

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 9
At lunch I ran to a place nearby that had the M-100 but it turns out they didnt fit well at all and I really wasnt pleased with the sound. It felt a bit muddy to me so those are off the list While I was there they had a pair of ATH-50x (but they were wireless) that I really liked. For some reason I had it in my head that those were sibilant, but in the short time I tried them I didnt experience that.

I haven't tried anything from Beyerdynamic as I haven't found a place around me that I can go demo them. Im interested in the 770's but those too Ive heard are pretty sibilant so Im hesitant to pick them up without a chance to hear them.

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 9
Well something happened today. I discovered the Audioquest Nightowl Carbon. This was a 700 dollar headphone, but since Audioquest decided to stop making headphones, you can find them for half price. I'm pretty comfortable these will become my favorite closed backs. They might already be actually.
The bass is definitely there, but not huge like the Q40. Plenty though, in both quality and quantity. Otherwise, they sound similar to the Q40, only cleaner with better imaging. Very fun, with the most spacious sound I've ever heard in a closed back. The comfort is unreal. Heavier than the Q40, but they literally float on your head. These are an absolute steal at this price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back