Need to recable ER4P - can remove resistor?
Apr 3, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this website: ER4P, Best Earphone!

It says ER4P and ER4S are the same, the only difference is the resistor in the cable, but can the ER4 be used without any resistor? Will it damage my EMU0404 USB source?

The ER4S has the resistor correct? This allows is to not hiss with DAPS. The resistor makes is harder for amplifiers to drive them properly though. Removing the resistor won't damage anything it will just make your ER4S's more efficient, but be prepared to hear hissing...

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER4S has the resistor correct? This allows is to not hiss with DAPS. The resistor makes is harder for amplifiers to drive them properly though. Removing the resistor won't damage anything it will just make your ER4S's more efficient, but be prepared to hear hissing...

Quote:

ER4P's specification of 27 ohm includes the 20 ohm resistor, the 5 ohm resistance of the drive unit and 2 ohm of the cord itself while ER4S's specification of resistance 100 ohm does not include the 5 ohm of the drive unit and the 2 ohm of the cord itself. Yes, ER4S's actual resistance is 107 ohm.

Based on what says on the site, they both have a resistor in the cable. 20 ohm for P and 100 ohm for S.
If I remove the resistor I will get 7 ohm. When I remove cable I end up with 5 ohm.

I will use Nordost Valhalla (1.3 ohm per 1000 feet). Less than 0.01 ohms for the cable. I also use Genesis interconnect, the resistance is about the same as Valhalla I believe. But the Genesis also has magnets which boost up the speed with 14%. It has minus ohms??! I have 5 ohm for driver with 14% less resistance from cabling? I will get 4.3 ohm total?

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 13
"minus ohms"??? What?
It won't damage your source, but the crazy low resistance might damage your headphones.

btw, why do you need so little resistance?

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 13
I have been recabling the ER-4 for years.

You can remove the middle pod that contains the 24 oHm resistors but you MUST replace them one way or another. Driving the ER-4 without resistors is a bad idea.

My current ER-4P has been fully recabled with 0.2mm solid core silver and uses new 27oHm resistors.

If you are agile enough, you can place the resistors in the mini plug

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it a bad idea? Will it break the earphones?

I doubt it will break the armature drivers. But the ER-4P drivers have been designed in such a way that the drivers itself does not have any resistance and will depend 99% on the inline resistors. The drivers itself have 1 oHm resistance so if you did your recabling for them without any inline resistors you will be running a 1 oHm setup and I do not want to think how that would sound like

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 13
Super/low resistance = will cause amp, not designed to drive low resistance loads, to overwork/overheat/fail.

No resistor = a external resistor limits current delivered to the driver. If your amp is powerful enuff, it "can" burn the drivers.

As mentioned, u can build the resistors right into the plug, get some surface mount resistors (tinny). U just got to have steady hands, fine tip iron, and a lupe/goggle don't hurt.

Have shaky hands and/or no tools? THIS guy will sell u a pre-made adapter plug as long as u don't mind the extra bulk at the end.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Ok, I bought a box full of resistors of different values. I added a 82 ohms into the path and got smoother sound, now it is 109 ohms total. Can I add more ohms into the path? 300 ohms? 1000 ohms? How high is safe?

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Ok, I am running 579 ohms now and it sounds weird, the ambient space is bigger, I hear echo in the recording which I never heard before. But so far I haven't heard any real improvements, it just sounds different.

EDIT: Wow this resistor rolling is great for fine tuning the sound!

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 13
I found 187 ohms to give the best sound for me, 109 ohms sounded the same from the rca outputs as from the amp output of EMU0404 USB. Anything higher than 120ohms sounded boomy and uncontrolled from the rca outputs, it gave the worst sound. From the amp output even 579 ohms sounded better than 129 ohms from rca outputs.

I also replaced the stock cable with Genesis + Valhalla. But it's too uncomfortable so I switched back to K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back