Need to power HD555's from a Macbook
Jan 18, 2007 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

thecheeks

New Head-Fier
ok well for a while i thought maybe my headphones were dieing since they didnt drive bass as hard as they used to but silly me, theres no way my macbook could drive bass as hard as my old comp or a real stereo. i dont know much about amps so i figured i would ask. whats a good cheap way to drive the bass harder? im not a huge audiophile but i can tell these cans are underpowered with this lil laptop. any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 9
Actually, I figure that 555s are no problem unamped for either an iPod or a MacBook. Still, Grado 60s are fine, as are any IEC.

Any portable amp from Ray Samuals or HeadRoom will do the job just fine.

But, if you want great, use uncompressed music, buy a micro DAC from HeadRoom, and the amp of your choice, then you can power anything at far superior quality.

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 9
While underpowered, I thought the HD595 sounded surprisingly good from the MacBook. I assume the HD555 would be similar. How cheap is cheap? And have you tried EQing a bit?

Jan 18, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 9
For something "quick and dirty" (and inexpensive - it's $40), try Miglia's Harmony Express: http://www.miglia.com/products/audio...ess/index.html.
It's a sound card about the size of a flash drive that connects to one of your computer's USB ports.
I've got one and it's not bad at all, although some head-fi snobs will likely disparage it, but I think that it works quite nicely; it does improve the sound.
I just received my new Xenos X1HA-EPC amp http://www.aptecpro.com/index.html and it's really extremely good! It doesn't have a USB DAC, something that many folks, here, say is needed when using an amp with a computer, but I've found that it provides full, rich, luscious sound running off of my Powerbook's headphone jack; I've read that the soundcards in Macs, and especially their laptops is better than most.
It's $220.....don't know if that's more than you want to spend, but I think that's it's primo, an amp to seriously consider.
I've been using my K-701s and DT-770 Pros(it's got 600ohm impedance!) with my Xenos/Powerbook setup for about 10 hours, now, and loving it!

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 9
poor man's microstack should do the trick
wink.gif

laptoprig1.jpg

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you get that green mini cable? and for how much

it's one of turbo's early cables...bought it with the original turbo dock a while back...can't remember how much it was, though.

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back