Need to know good m-audio studiophile av40 replacements
Sep 8, 2009 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

silverwolf0

New Head-Fier
I've been using the M-audio av40 for about six months or so and am quite sure right now that I don't really like them. The audio may be clean or reference-level in its details, but I am not liking that the sound isn't punchy at all, the bass is not that great, and sound is very directional and narrow, lacking any surround feel. I want to upgrade to a 2.1 setup, something punchy but still good sounding, but stay about within the $130ish price point that the av40s were in.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverwolf0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the M-audio av40 for about six months or so and am quite sure right now that I don't really like them. The audio may be clean or reference-level in its details, but I am not liking that the sound isn't punchy at all, the bass is not that great, and sound is very directional and narrow, lacking any surround feel. I want to upgrade to a 2.1 setup, something punchy but still good sounding, but stay about within the $130ish price point that the av40s were in.

Not to discredit your opinions, but I just got a pair of these a couple months ago, and feel that they put out a TON of punchy bass. I was actually looking for a good external usb soundcard/dac to really take advantage of them and my flac/apple lossless collection. The sound great with my motherboards onboard line-out, but feel they could sound even better.

Good luck with your search for replacements.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Mine just may be a bit defective. It wasn't like this a month ago, or at least I don't think it was. If I turn up the volume so I can hear things more clearly, it starts to sound a bit...Logitech-y? I want to RMA the thing but fear that the M-Audio people may not find anything they consider wrong with the speakers (as I had a similar experience with RMAing a Sony-Ericsson phone with static in the headphones), end up scuffing it, and then slap on a hefty C.O.D. charge. It could be all in my head. I had plugged in an old Logitech e120 pair of speakers (cheapo 2.0 pc speakers) and it was a drastic drop in fullness and pleasantry, but they sounded similar in a kind of muddy aspect being a common denominator.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by defsquad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to discredit your opinions, but I just got a pair of these a couple months ago, and feel that they put out a TON of punchy bass. I was actually looking for a good external usb soundcard/dac to really take advantage of them and my flac/apple lossless collection. The sound great with my motherboards onboard line-out, but feel they could sound even better.

Good luck with your search for replacements.

BIG X2
Mine sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back