Need to dump my E4c's :(
Dec 18, 2007 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kevman

New Head-Fier
Been unhappy with the SQ from my ipod 5.5 / E4cs for a while. PX100 to my ears sounded much better. After some research decided to upgrade to Sony A818 and what a major step up in SQ that was ! However I am now in a dillema as both the OEM buds and the PX100 totally outclass the E4cs. I am no audiophile so describing why is difficult all i can say is the bass is much richer and more to my taste with the latter two. I am thinking that the E4c is not a bad phone but just totally unsuited to my ears.

i do however love the isolation that the Shures have (travel by air a lot).

I am now thinking of replacing the E4cs with either the super.fi 5 pros OR the triple.fis as this will give the ritcher bass that I feel is mising in the Shures.

Any thoughts ??

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 15
I would definitely go with the Super.Fi 5 Pros. I had the E4c's and i liked them but the bass just wasn't there. The Super.Fi 5 Pros have more bass but not too much. The treble extension on the Super.Fi 5 Pros won't be as good as the E4c's was. But overall the Super.Fi 5 Pros are a better sounding IEM in my opinion.

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 15
I also would recommend stepping up to a dual driver IEM such as the Ultimate Ears Super fi 5 pro of the Sure SE420. I personally haven't heard the Ultimate Ears but I have the SE420s paired with the Sony NWZ-A818 and it sounds excellent to my ears. It required a little EQ'ing to get the sound to my taste but I like the bass a little on the heavy side

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 15
No, E4C's are single drivers.

I have noticed that they have worn out there welcome on Head-Fi. About a year ago they were gold. Funny how that happens with some IEM's. Many would prefer the funner, fuller sound of Super Fi Pro but I think the E4's are much more controlled and accurate...but could be perceived as bland/boring by some.

Pretty neat how ER4 NEVER goes out of style. Proof that it is still the most unique IEM ever made IMHO.

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pretty neat how ER4 NEVER goes out of style. Proof that it is still the most unique IEM ever made IMHO.

Even the ER6 sounds better to me than E4. E4 vs. ER4...not even close :bigetysmile:

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 15
Another vote for the Atrio M5s. I know what you mean by the perception of thinness from an earphone (I happen to think iPods and my now-semi-retired Shure E3s don't go all that well together, but YMMV). The M5s are crisper than the PX100s, but if you like the PX100s I would think that you'd prefer the Atrios over many of the other worthy IEMs out there ...

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 15
Sounds to me like poor fit. I used to have a pair of 'em E4c and they definitely didn't lack bass. I personally think that the E4c is more refined than the PX100 too. Listen carefully to the fine nuances and you'll notice how much more musical information you get out of the former.

Use this to test for good seal: Sensaphonics / Seal Test

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds to me like poor fit. I used to have a pair of 'em E4c and they definitely didn't lack bass. I personally think that the E4c is more refined than the PX100 too. Listen carefully to the fine nuances and you'll notice how much more musical information you get out of the former.

Use this to test for good seal: Sensaphonics / Seal Test

Agreed. RP-htx7s (panasonic retro phones) are said to have some good bass, and these phones blow them away with the right ear tips. However if you're still unsure, then the Atrio M5 is the "closest" thing to your other phones, albeit much, much more refined in all sections. UE super.fi 5 isn't a bad choice, either, but you can use your shure eartips on the M5 without any hassles. Including black foamies.

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 15
I was not happy with the sound of any of the Shure IEMs until I got the SE530s. Isolation is good on all of them but SQ doesn't shine until the SE530. Plus the bass is very strong and takes EQing like crazy. As with all IEMs the fit is critical. The black foamies worked the best for me but I went custom molds and haven't looked back. I often wear them around the house instead of my HD600s or Stax 404s.

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks for the advise. I always assumed the "seal" would be either complete or not ! In other words i get no bass or the full amount possible. The 50/500Hz test suggested here has got me thinking my seal is not good enough. The 500Hz sound is, for sure, louder. This is confusing as it is also louder (to the same extent) using non IEMs (PX200s). I also get very good sound isolation (which I previously thought suggested a good seal). To be clear, the bass is there so I assumed the seal was good. The 50/500 hz test sugests otherwise. Any comments ?

Dec 21, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advise. I always assumed the "seal" would be either complete or not ! In other words i get no bass or the full amount possible. The 50/500Hz test suggested here has got me thinking my seal is not good enough. The 500Hz sound is, for sure, louder. This is confusing as it is also louder (to the same extent) using non IEMs (PX200s). I also get very good sound isolation (which I previously thought suggested a good seal). To be clear, the bass is there so I assumed the seal was good. The 50/500 hz test sugests otherwise. Any comments ?

I also thought the bass was very weak in my e4c until I read this thread. I had the same experience - the 50hz was present, but dramatically quieter than the 500hz. I thought I had a pretty good seal with the soft flex sleeves because I was getting a little suction every time I removed them, but after the alternating tone test, I started to look for a better fit. After I found a good seal, the 50hz was much more present than it had been before. Also, just a note, I found a louder overall volume helped comparison using the alternating tone track. Anyway, here are a few options that worked for me:

1) soft flex tips with the earphones upside down (so the cable goes straight down instead of over the ear). this was super easy to insert, and I got a good seal with a little wiggling back and forth to corkscrew the tip into my ear. still very comfortable. The only problems - the earphones stuck out from my ear so I couldn't lean my head on anything and the microphonics were terrible.

2) hard clear flex tips with the over the ear routing, using the opposite hand to pull my ear open during insertion. I.e. left hand pulling on the top-back portion of my right ear to allow slightly deeper insertion. This was when I realized how much bass I was missing from a poor seal. Unfortunately, not the most comfortable, and silly looking during insertion. Still fairly easy though.

3) the same procedure as #2 but using the soft flex tips. maybe not as good a seal as I got with the clear tips, but more comfy and it gives me the ability to use #1 for quick insertion.

I was surprised that the yellow foamies didn't give a good seal, as I usually have good results with foam tips. The tri-flanges were just plain uncomfortable and not that great. I haven't tried the olives yet, but it seems they can't be beat. If you don't have any luck with the above methods, or have already tried them all, maybe go for the olives.

I was listening to professor murder - free stress test, robyn - konichiwa bithes and lupe fiasco - kick push (rock, pop and hip hop) in addition to the alternating frequency track to guage the bass. I also played around with foobar's eq and found that when I had a bad seal, I wanted to bump up the bass - which made it seem pretty muddy. When I had a good seal, I prefered the balance of the e4c's without any eq.

Dec 22, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 15
My biggest problem with the E4C's has always been the fit. I have always found it tough to get them in properly.

Basically I think I just dont like IEM's in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back