Need to convert single ended input to balanced input...how?
May 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Hi all,

I need to convert a single ended source input (RCA) to a balanced input (XLR).  I'd like some sort of one-box solution that would produce a true inverted signal.  I've done some looking around and I'm more confused now than when I started.

Anyone have any simple solutions that they can point me at?  Thanks!

May 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 8
Does whatever gear you are hooking up have a provision for SE in/balanced out? If it does I would probably just use that.

If your gear does not have that there are basically 2 ways to do this, both can be bought off the shelf (yaay!) 

You can do what you want easily with active (GENERALLY opamp-based) stuff, or with transformers. Active solutions are less expensive but require a power supply and introduce their own noise, transformers are nearly ground loop proof. 

Here you go for opamps:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-8485

For transformers you have a few more options... 
Edcor:
http://www.edcorusa.com/products/45-s2s10k-600t.aspx
Will require wiring the balanced connection yourself, and reduces gain by a bit BUT can drive long cables.

http://www.edcorusa.com/products/46-s2s10k-10kt.aspx
Also with balanced connection yourself, but only a nominal reduction of gain. Not so hot for longer cables, but 1-2m should be OK.

If you have a lot of money to throw at the project, Jensen makes outstanding transformers... 

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/pixxpoxx.html

May 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 8

Can you provide some more detail?

I'm a bit confused. You say "source input" but when you're talking about a source, you're talking about outputs, not inputs.

Are you saying you're wanting to take an unbalanced source output and convert it to balanced to drive a balanced input?

se

May 22, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Yes Steve, you're right...I meant that I want single ended output converted to balanced to drive a balanced input. 

May 22, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Yes Steve, you're right...I meant that I want single ended output converted to balanced to drive a balanced input. 

Ah, ok. Figured as much but just wanted to be sure.

The cheapest way would be the little Edcor boxes, though get the 600:600 not the 10k:600. Mount them as close as you can to the source with the shortest cable.

The most expensive way would be the Jensen boxes, specifically the DM2-2RX.

In the middle, if you don't mind a little DIY, use a pair of CineMag CMOB-4 line output transformers.

se

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 8

elrod-tom, resurrecting an old thread. Did you ever succeed with this? I would like to turn a SE DAC (USB Monica) into a true balanced source to feed the GS-X mk2. I am looking at the Jensen PI-2RX as an option. Achieving phase inversion still has me confused though...

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 8

elrod-tom, resurrecting an old thread. Did you ever succeed with this? I would like to turn a SE DAC (USB Monica) into a true balanced source to feed the GS-X mk2. I am looking at the Jensen PI-2RX as an option. Achieving phase inversion still has me confused though...

The goal of balanced is a hotter signal and lower noise floor. Great for long cable runs but if you're going 2ft from DAC to Amp I'd really have to question whether any gain in SQ would be offset by adding more components to signal chain. Any opamp based solution definitely runs risk of coloring sound (potentially better or worse) and adding gain you probably don't need and transformer based solution would have opposite impact on gain. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 8
The goal of balanced is a hotter signal...

Only a hotter signal if you're working with very limited power supply voltages, like with portable devices. But even there, you can use DC-DC converters to achieve higher voltages. But if it's something that's plugging into the wall, the signal can be as hot as you'd like it, even with single-ended outputs.

...and lower noise floor.

Pretty much moot at headphone levels, even if you're working with a rather long run.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back