Need to amplify lows on LCD2 or LYR
May 12, 2011 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tigers Go GRRR

New Head-Fier
I'm probably a bass-head but I sure do like sound quality too.

I have LCD-2 heapdhones and an LYR amp and they sound great but the bass/lows/impact with them is almost non existent. I'm not sure how to get louder, more striking bass without losing sound quality.

I plug my sources (Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC) and headphones directly into the amp.

Will bass greatly improve when I add a DAC?
Would an Equalizer do the trick?
Maybe swap out the headphones or amp with other high-end quality amps/headphones that focus on bass? Do those exist?

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

May 12, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 9
The only way to INCREASE bass would be to use an EQ, remembering that if you are using a software EQ, to decrease the rest of the frequency spectrum, as opposed to increasing bass (which could cause clipping)

There aren't really any hi-fi cans that emphasize bass.  No DAC is going to emphasize bass

May 12, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 9
Wow, you must really be a basshead.   I've only heard the LCD2 at a meet and the bass was very good and extended very low.  It seem to me to be accurate to what was in the recording.  It was out of a balanced B22.  I'm not sure how the B22 and the Lyr compare, but since the Lyr was designed for driving the new orthos, I'd expect it to be good.

I don't know your sources, but are you plugging into a headphone out or a line out?  Although, I'd think headphone out on a game console wouldn't lack in bass, a PC's headphone out might.

May 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Wow, you must really be a basshead.   I've only heard the LCD2 at a meet and the bass was very good and extended very low. 

I don't know your sources, but are you plugging into a headphone out or a line out?  Although, I'd think headphone out on a game console wouldn't lack in bass, a PC's headphone out might.

PC card is standard RCA audio out, Xbox is using RCA audio that's attached to a Component cable, Playstation has a special adapter they use that converts a Playstation-specific plug to RCA audio.

Yeah I hear that alot: "ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!? LCD2's BASS ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!?!?" I'm not sure if I'm a bass-head or if I've set something up wrong. I guess I need to find a headphone meet like yours to find out.

In the meantime, get an Equalizer, got it. thanks for the replies.

May 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 9
From the FR graphs I've seen, the LCD-2 is ruler flat, which ears would perceive as rolled off.  The lower levels you listen, the more the roll off.  EQ does sound like the perfect solution.

May 16, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 9
No matter if you keep the LCD-2 or not you should update the source for your PS 3 and 360. PC depend on your soundcard. From my experience most dedicated dacs boost bass compared to what you get out of a PS 3 or 360s analogue out and is just better at everything. LCD-2 do really shine with better dacs more so then different amplifiers.

It´s going to be hard to find a headphone that kicks harder then the LCD-2. And it can be pushed harder by EQ then most other headphones. Personally never ever felt inclined to increase the bass though  You haven´t thought about getting a receiver? They do come with calibration options, EQ, DSPs, bass, treble control generally unless you are tight on space. If you are lucky you can even use the speaker taps and see what that brings. In generall transistor amplifiers tend to do bass better then amps involving tubes it appears.

As for digital bass plenty of it in soundtracks like Dark Knight, Inception or just regular pop for that matter. Never been an issue for me on the LCD-2.  In fact I haven´t heard a headphone that really comes close to the LCD-2 particularly regarding bass. I may not be a bass head though obviously. Other options Pro 750/900 possible. Downgrade sonically but you may enjoy the more aggressive drums. Don´t really recommend that though but it´s the best I can do to try to find more impact then the LCD-2.

May 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I'm probably a bass-head but I sure do like sound quality too.

I have LCD-2 heapdhones and an LYR amp and they sound great but the bass/lows/impact with them is almost non existent. I'm not sure how to get louder, more striking bass without losing sound quality.

I plug my sources (Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC) and headphones directly into the amp.

Will bass greatly improve when I add a DAC?
Would an Equalizer do the trick?
Maybe swap out the headphones or amp with other high-end quality amps/headphones that focus on bass? Do those exist?

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

If you have almost non-existent bass impact with LCD-2, it salmost ounds like there's something wrong somewhere in you signal chain. I think many would agree that the LCD-2 in itself has potential for a very powerful, low bass-impact. It certainly blows any other cans I've listened to out of the water in that regard.

See if you could borrow an amp/dac from a friend or perhaps take your LCD-2's to a shop to try on different setups and bring your own music to see if you can reproduce the same sound.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 9
I've been looking at the LCD2s too but am worried the bass and warmness wont match my DT770 80ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back