Need tips for competitive gaming on a budget
Dec 28, 2008 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rehban

New Head-Fier
Been lurking and searching for a while now on the forums but still undecided, so without further wasting time I'm hoping some of the experts or some of those who have been in my position can offer some guidance.

First, my budget would be $200-250. I could stretch it only if it would truly be an amazing difference.

My absolute necessity are cans (open or closed) that work superb in competitive FPS games, CS, COD4, you name it. 2nd in priority is metal music and movies, with good bass being nice but not an absolute requirement.

What I am working with now:

Sennheiser HD-555 (nice cans, but I can't help but think I could of done better at that price range).

Onboard Realtek ALC889A codec w/ Optical and coaxial on a gigabyte ep45-ds3r.

What I've been considering:

ATH-AD900
ATH-AD700
DT 770

OR

Zero DAC

OR

Astro A40 Mixamp (seems to be gimmicky, but I do a LITTLE gaming on the 360)

So without breaking my budget wide open, for good can upgrade with or without amp, what can I do? And how good would it be compared to what I have now?

I would not be adverse to upgrading my sound card, I've tried to the xonar series though and their drivers have had problems with many games in my library.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 12
For gaming AD900. For music, AD900 is accurate, the Mids/Treble are its strengths with fast, tight bass, I think are punchy, just don't have the impact of a closed headphone, nor as powerful.
- AD900 I find are not very forgiving on bad recording. As much as I like Ben Folds, I don't know why he chooses to have the worst recording quality on all his music and sounds very drab on the AD900. Ben Folds needs to take a lot more pride on his albums IMO.
- AD900 will reproduce piano really great, Ben Folds sounds as if its being streamed from live.com

For your metal music, my guess DT770, if you are looking for strong bass with more impact.

Do you think its worth it to spend that much money on the Zero DAC for the HD555? I think if you get the DT770 and the Zero might be a nice idea?

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rehban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been lurking and searching for a while now on the forums but still undecided, so without further wasting time I'm hoping some of the experts or some of those who have been in my position can offer some guidance.

First, my budget would be $200-250. I could stretch it only if it would truly be an amazing difference.

My absolute necessity are cans (open or closed) that work superb in competitive FPS games, CS, COD4, you name it. 2nd in priority is metal music and movies, with good bass being nice but not an absolute requirement.

What I am working with now:

Sennheiser HD-555 (nice cans, but I can't help but think I could of done better at that price range).

Onboard Realtek ALC889A codec w/ Optical and coaxial on a gigabyte ep45-ds3r.

What I've been considering:

ATH-AD900
ATH-AD700
DT 770

OR

Zero DAC

OR

Astro A40 Mixamp (seems to be gimmicky, but I do a LITTLE gaming on the 360)

So without breaking my budget wide open, for good can upgrade with or without amp, what can I do? And how good would it be compared to what I have now?

I would not be adverse to upgrading my sound card, I've tried to the xonar series though and their drivers have had problems with many games in my library.

Thanks in advance.

I do like my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s, they are less then a week old.
A new sound card by Auzentech looks promising, the X-Fi Forte 7.1,
but it currently only sells at full retail price of $150.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 12
So for the moment it definitely looks like a race between the AD700 and AD900. I have read that some people really prefer it for competitive gaming because of sound stage (sometimes too huge?) and some say that it sucks, but I'm at least hoping I am in the right direction. Can anyone with knowledge of both comment on this?

Considering my source would that be a big issue?

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 12
While the source isn't really that good (compared to standalone DACs or amps), it souldn't pose any significant problems to the AD700/900 since they are low impedance, high sensitivity phones. The one thing that's bad about about onboard sound is the large amount of EMI noise coming from the other components of the computer.

Providing that you play music that is of relatively high quality as well (ie. 320 kps MP3) it should tide you over until you get a better source. I've tried playing the AD700's out of my laptop headphone out and they sounded decent enough.

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Tip #1: find out what headphones + equipment the most successful FPS gamers use.

Tip #2: buy those headphones + equipment, and find out for yourself how amazing the difference is over your current rig.

Tip #3: or, buy headphones + equipment that's used or recommended by less successful or non FPS gamers, and find out for yourself how amazing the difference is over your current rig.

What happens if you find out the most successful FPS gamers are using $20 headphones with a sub $100 gaming sound card?

And, why would you want to take advice on this from people (like me) who are not one of the most successful FPS gamers?

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tip #1: find out what headphones + equipment the most successful FPS gamers use.

Tip #2: buy that those headphones + equipment, and find out for yourself how amazing the difference is over your current rig.

Tip #3: or, buy headphones + equipment that's used or recommended by less successful or non FPS gamers, and find out for yourself how amazing the difference is over your current rig.

What happens if you find out the most successful FPS gamers are using $20 headphones with a sub $100 gaming sound card?

And, why would you want to take advice on this from people (like me) who are not one of the most successful FPS gamers?

Excellent points, however since I am definitely getting a multi-purpose set of cans (read because of budget I am making one big purchase), and coupled that with the fact a lot of people who I've asked in clan circle have no clue what good sound is and would just rather get a razer headset, it seems to me that turning to the experts would be a better way of finding the best mix for me.

It's been said and shown that most "pros" use what logo sponsors their checks, but for those who fall in between casual and uber-pro maybe some post in these forums. I just want a strong upgrade to the system I have now, that can do games first and music second.

I for sure asked for tips and thank you for your tips and suggestions.

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Excellent points, however since I am definitely getting a multi-purpose set of cans (read because of budget I am making one big purchase), and coupled that with the fact a lot of people who I've asked in clan circle have no clue what good sound is and would just rather get a razer headset, it seems to me that turning to the experts would be a better way of finding the best mix for me.

It's been said and shown that most "pros" use what logo sponsors their checks, but for those who fall in between casual and uber-pro maybe some post in these forums. I just want a strong upgrade to the system I have now, that can do games first and music second.

I for sure asked for tips and thank you for your tips and suggestions.

Right, if your absolute first priority is FPS gaming, then you get FPS gaming headphones and let them also suffice for other uses.

And, if "pros" use sponsored headphones, that does seem to suggest a wide variety of headphones (those sponsored headphones and others) should perform superbly with FPS gaming.

However, if other uses are a more comparative priority as you now seem to be indicating, then other headphone + equipment options should be considered.

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 12
I would get a better soundcard first for competitive gaming. A budget X-FI should do, then decent headphones with good soundstage and imaging. My budget hd555 + x-fi setup proves fairly good when gaming, as I can hear almost everything.

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 12
I am a competitive player, i am a well know CSS gungamer, if you ever want to play with me, hit me up.

I currently play with the AD700s connected to my Zero Dac. The sound stage is excellent with these phones, and its not unusual for people to complain about how it is impossible for me to do the things I do. I am actually spoiled now, and my dependence on sound accuracy has become a staple in the way I play.

I decided on the zero dac because I was able to pick it up for about the same price as a good sound card, and I run a digital signal to it from my xfi xmusic, however i would not hesitate to use the onboard sound with the zero. The sound quality, power output and versatility is superior to anything you can get from a sound card, imho.

I am now upgrading to the denon D2000s because i pushed my AD700s a little too hard and have blown one of my drivers
frown.gif
. Keep in mind the bass on the 700s is great quality, but missing in quantity.

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Looks like I'm on the road of 700's & an auzen forge, seeing as how it has the same chip as the prelude but should cost less. 900's if I find money growing on trees somewhere.

Thanks for all your input thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back