Need the perfect pair of phones for this situation
Sep 30, 2004 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BaboonGuy

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I am a college student, need some headphones for listening. The setting will be where there are other people around, so maybe closed is best? However, if it's just a little bit of noise at small-medium listening level that'll work too. I also play chess and would like a pair of phones to use during matches, so maybe a closed phone will be best (during matches I can still use phones with a little noise, unless my competitor is being anal).

I do have a large head, so that'll pose a problem, lemme go measure the width. OK, I used a piece of string on the top of my head, from two points about temple level on the widest part. It was 9". So over the heads may not be so good. I look a little goofy (but acceptable) wearing my dt440s and definetly completely goofy with my senn 280s.

The type of music I listen to is all kinds, but I especially like female vocals, and techno/trance/electronica/etc. with instruments. But I cannot stand a lot of bass, not at all. It kills me. The mid-high is what I love, not the low. Bass just hurts my ears.

My price range is unlimited I guess, but I probably wouldn't spend more than $300. I've owned the DT 440s (awesome phone), HD 280 pros (okay phone, good for a newbie), KSC-35s (great sound but way too fragile, these are now long gone in the trash), and PMX 60s (okay for running, etc. but a little harsh and not enough resolution).

I'm thinking canalphones, ety's maybe, or possibly the PX-100. I'm not exactly sure. I definetly don't want something especially fragile (like the KSC35) and don't want anything big as it will have to go in my backpack. I really don't like the feel of earphones either.

My source will be my new 20GB Ipod coming soon or my laptop with an Echo Indigo running Itunes.

Thank you for the help.

Sep 30, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 6
Hmmmm. So I've been looking at the reviews, and I think I want the Ultimate Ears UE-10's. However, I may not like the whole concept of canal phones and $1000 custom fit is not the way to find out. So should I go for these Ety 4P's from idealsound then get the UE-10's if I like the Ety's? What about the E5 from Shure, do you think that has too much bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back