Need T-Amp ps and speaker recommendations
Oct 13, 2005 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ya8282

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a T-Amp (impulse buy from an online shop I was ordering from anyway) and decided to use it for computer speakers since I have a component system with decent speakers already. Unfortunately, I don't have any magnetically shielded speakers yet, nor do I have a decent power supply. I have a ratshack 1A universal adapter, but it doesn't seem powerful enough, though I have not actually tried it with any speakers yet.

I'm looking to spend less than $150 for both ps and speakers, but do care about quality. I listen to a lot of classical music (though that is mainly the job of my component system) and play a few games. The signal path will be: M-Audio Transit USB -> MSB Link III Gold DAC -> T-Amp and Talisman T-3H.
At some point, I had been looking at Swans speakers, but those have an amp built-in and there would be no point in using the T-amp for anything
wink.gif

Anyone have any recommendations?

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 11
I also just bought the T amp on impulse after reading some of the incredible reviews. I connected it to my G5 mac via usb to a microdac and then a pair of Dynaudio audience 52 speakers. Boy was I dissapointed. I didn't use high quality interconnects or speaker cable and I know that the dynaudios are fairly hard to drive, but the sound was really ordinary. I got enough volume even with batteries but I just couldn't wait to reconnect my logitech multimedia system. Does one need $5000.00 speakers to make this amp sound good?

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 11
irvin59:

Your speakers seem to be a very poor match for the T-Amp. They have pretty low sensitivity at around 83 dB/watt and the T-Amp really doesn't have enough power to drive those. You really want something around 89/90 dB/watt to work well with a T-Amp. High efficiency single driver speakers work the best with T-Amps.

ya8282:

For ease of use, the Astron RS-4A (around $40) seems to be the recommended power supply, though the Pyramid 13.8V/3A linear power supply (around $20 ) from PartsExpress works pretty well. Best sound quality option seems to be a 12V SLA battery and a SLA charger though.

Athena BS-1s and Paradigm Atoms and Titans seem to be popular choices for the T-Amp.

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
irvin59:

Your speakers seem to be a very poor match for the T-Amp. They have pretty low sensitivity at around 83 dB/watt and the T-Amp really doesn't have enough power to drive those. You really want something around 89/90 dB/watt to work well with a T-Amp. High efficiency single driver speakers work the best with T-Amps.

Thanks Marvin-I'm sure you're right. I can just see my cheap impulse buy turning into an expensive one.

Oct 14, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for an Astron RS-4A and keep shopping around for some speakers.

Oct 14, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 11
Oct 14, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 11
that's just perfect. thanks for the heads up!

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ya8282
Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for an Astron RS-4A and keep shopping around for some speakers.

i have that. got lucky on ebay with a used one. seems to power well, but i get buzzing. goes away after awhile though. i wonder if folks would rather try some big rechargeable batter option? forget what those are called.......

i have had axiom m3ti's and now polk r15's with the t-amp. the axiom's were nice, but i got the feeling the t-amp wasn't the perfect match. i wouldn't really reccommend the polk's; i'm going for some paradigm atoms next; think that's a good match

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
irvin59:

ya8282:

For ease of use, the Astron RS-4A (around $40) seems to be the recommended power supply, though the Pyramid 13.8V/3A linear power supply (around $20 ) from PartsExpress works pretty well. Best sound quality option seems to be a 12V SLA battery and a SLA charger though.

Athena BS-1s and Paradigm Atoms and Titans seem to be popular choices for the T-Amp.

lol. should have read this first. agreed!

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Uh oh. My wharfedales have Sensitivity: 86dB
Hopefully the T-amp can push thru the 3db missing and give me some nice tunage! Mine should be coming by the end of the month.

edit -the Athena's are Room Efficiency: 89dB and under $100! Rats! Oh well I've been enjoying the Wharfedales for a year now and am still happy with em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back