Need T-amp advice for bookshelf speakers
Dec 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

silk186

New Head-Fier
I just moved and currently have no speakers.
I am a bit disappointment by computer audio so have decided to try something different.
I'm located in London, England and trying to keep things around £50 (the price of a pair of Edifier Studio R1600T Plus)
I have been reading about a T-amp + bookshelf speaker pairing for a while and am looking for advice.
My goal is to get something that will sound better than the Edifier for a similar price.

My plan is to pick up speakers locally off of gum try and buy a t-amp off of either amazon or ebay.
If anyone is selling a t-amp in the UK let me know.

As far as speakers available in London and Reading these are my choices:

Denon SC-M50 for £35
Technics Sb-HD81 for £22
Technics Sb-CH510A. for £10
Sony SS-E30 for £25
TEAC LS-X8 MK2 £30

This leaves me a few choices for T-amps:

Lepai TA2020+ (with a 6a 12v adapter)
MUSE i15w TA2024
MUSE M20 EX2 TA2020
SMSL SA-36A

I've very confused about T-amps what to look (LP2020A+, TA2020, TA2020+, TA2020A, TA2020A+) for and what speakers they can be paired with.
I don't mind doing my research, point me in the right direction.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 4
There`s plenty of information for T-amps, whatever you buy, you cant go wrong,
the best deal is the Lepai, if you want more built quality get smth more expensive, 
the 2020 chip is the best sounding I think,
I have a Topping, but I didn`t get it cheap..

as for the bookshelves, I would recommend used gear, 
It should be plenty of used british made, B&W, Kef, Mordaunt Short, Quad etc, in London,
you cannot beat them with cheap new speakers, 
check for speakers sensibility as T-amps cannot drive effortlessly  all speakers, 
though they can put a lot of dB, some distort at high volumes..

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 4
You could also just (atleast thats what I did) buy a 80s - 90s amplifier (phillips FA 900s series are very good, I also use it as a headphone amp) and some second hand bookshelf speakers, it costs $100 and in my case it almost beats my parents $700 phillips 5.1 home cinema system (it will when I buy a subwoofer :D)

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 4
Really like my pioneer bookshelfs (Andrew Jones).  Very inexpensive and excellent sounding.  I have the older series with the non-removable metal grills, but I've heard nothing but good things about the new ones as well.  By far best speakers in the price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back