Need suggestions: Sony DCJ01 vs Rio Volt SP100
Apr 18, 2002 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Khazim

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm getting a cd/mp3 player soon and I have my selections narrowed down to the Sony DCJ01 and the Rio Volt SP100. I can only get something around the $100 zone so the Rio Volt SP250 and SlimX are out of the question. I need a player that will play mp3s that are organized by Artist\Album\## - Track.mp3. I suppose if the Sony is much better than the Rio I could organize all my mp3s by Artist - Album\## - Track.mp3 though. Firmware updates dont seem too important, although I could be wrong. I just need something to play mp3s.

The good things I've heard about the Sony player is long battery life and no skipping. The good things I've heard about the Volt is the playlist capabilities and firmware updates.

I've read that the Rio Volt 100 skips quite a bit, and that it's somewhat big. I also read that the Sony DCJ01's headphones aren't good at all, but that isn't a problem since I'm gettign a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones.

Can anyone give me some experiences with one, or better yet both of those players? I need advice as to which one to get. I've read that the Volt's folder navigation is good, but I'm not sure about the Sony player.

Apr 22, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 2
I have the Sony D-CJ01. It's a great player if you can get it for $100! My main caution is to warn you it glitches on some VBR (variable bit rate) encoded MP3 files. Some may find this glitching objectionable. If your MP3 collection is encoded with normal CBR (constant bit rate i.e. 128, 192, etc.) you should be fine. The Sony also will not play WMA files.

Yes the Rio does skip, has horrible battery life, is a lot bigger and I've also heard they break a lot (and some don't work right out of the box). The Sony has none of these problems.

I just reviewed the SlimX as well. I have to tell you it has a lot of advantages on the Sony but if it's out of your price range at $180, that's a problem. To my knowledge, there are no other players that come close to the D-CJ01 and SlimX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back