Need suggestions on (budget) earphone and MP3 player
Sep 3, 2023 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LeWidget

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Getting back into exercise I'm looking to get an MP3 player and some wired earphones, but was wondering what can be had on a budget, preferably <$50AUD ($30USD) for MP3 player and $10AUD ($7USD).

I don't know if my budget is unrealistic to get something considering 'not-bad' for a cheap unit, though I'm not an audiophile, but don't want lower-quality audio, if you know what I mean. In the past I was considering getting a Sandisk mp3 which I believe could be flashed with some 3rd-party software to make it better, though that unit price has increased. Using an old phone I prefer not to. Used one in the past and just found them too heavy. Having an MP3 player that's lightweight & even clips onto my shirt is ideal.

I've also purchased some 'Xiaomi Piston 3' many years ago which I've lost. They cost something like $5-8aud and were pretty good, especially considering the price. Looking on Banggood I don't see them anymore, likely discontinued. I see them on Aliexpress however unsure if they're legit, even though Xiaomi is Chinese company.

Any suggestions to look at?

Sep 3, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 10
Clones on AliExpress are almost always of more expensive and popular items, like the Sennheisers. I wouldn't worry about that.

Sep 3, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 10
Hi guys,

Getting back into exercise I'm looking to get an MP3 player and some wired earphones, but was wondering what can be had on a budget, preferably <$50AUD ($30USD) for MP3 player and $10AUD ($7USD).

I don't know if my budget is unrealistic to get something considering 'not-bad' for a cheap unit, though I'm not an audiophile, but don't want lower-quality audio, if you know what I mean. In the past I was considering getting a Sandisk mp3 which I believe could be flashed with some 3rd-party software to make it better, though that unit price has increased. Using an old phone I prefer not to. Used one in the past and just found them too heavy. Having an MP3 player that's lightweight & even clips onto my shirt is ideal.

I've also purchased some 'Xiaomi Piston 3' many years ago which I've lost. They cost something like $5-8aud and were pretty good, especially considering the price. Looking on Banggood I don't see them anymore, likely discontinued. I see them on Aliexpress however unsure if they're legit, even though Xiaomi is Chinese company.

Any suggestions to look at?

At that price, for a source, you are better off getting a dongle DAC/AMP and connecting it to your phone. These dongles can give around midFI DAP sound quality, only issues are that it might drain battery of the phone or the phone may not have enough memory (especially if you use lots of lossless files).

Even a cheap sub $10 Apple dongle measures quite well and is neutralish, just that it does not have much power for demanding gear with low sensitivity/high impedance.

Top up the other $20 - 30 with something like a Salnotes Zero, Simgot EW200 or Tangzu Wan'er IEM, and you are good to go.

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Affordable mp3 players have been disappearing -- probably replaced by phones. If you look through the no-name cheap mp3 players on Ali Express you're probably going find glitchy firmware or other annoyances.

What you are perfectly describing is the old Sansa Clip+ or Clip Plus -- not to be confused, though Sandisk really tried, with the Clip Zip or Clip Sport or original Clip, none of which were nearly as good.

The Clip+ has square buttons, not a round wheel. It was tiny but (unlike original Clip) had a microSD card slot for more capacity -- and yes, it had a clip. They do show up on Ebay but not under $30.

The original Sansa Fuze -- not to be confused with the crummy Fuze Plus -- was also a great player, with a little more power than the Clip Plus. But it had a rubberized back that got sticky and icky with age; I have covered mine with Saran Wrap on the back.

Sep 3, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 10
The Yincrow X6 is $10 on Aliexpress and sounds really good, best value for the money in audio. Don't need an amplifier, but the Apple 3.5mm to USB adapter and USBPlayer Pro (if Android) will finish it off for best quality sound. Stick with 44.1khz/16 bit FLAC and you'll have a great experience. The Truthear Crinnacle Zero blue is a direct upgrade if the budget allows ($45 USD or lower used/on sale).

Sep 3, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 10
I have to disagree about the Yincrow X6. I bought them on the hype here and elsewhere; the red color looked cool too. And they weren't a big spend but I still regret it. If you want bloated bass, metallic vocals and muffled highs they are just the thing. Otherwise drop another $10 on one of @baskingshark's recommended IEMs.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 10
Clones on AliExpress are almost always of more expensive and popular items, like the Sennheisers. I wouldn't worry about that.

Worry about buying Aliexpress or worry about the cheaper earphones being clones?

At that price, for a source, you are better off getting a dongle DAC/AMP and connecting it to your phone. These dongles can give around midFI DAP sound quality, only issues are that it might drain battery of the phone or the phone may not have enough memory (especially if you use lots of lossless files).

Even a cheap sub $10 Apple dongle measures quite well and is neutralish, just that it does not have much power for demanding gear with low sensitivity/high impedance.

Top up the other $20 - 30 with something like a Salnotes Zero, Simgot EW200 or Tangzu Wan'er IEM, and you are good to go.

I'll check out the dongle, though I wanted to avoid using a phone due to its bulkyness. My phone's the Galaxy S9+ & even when I had the smaller Galaxy S3 it was still too big.
Thanks for the suggestion on earphones too, I'll check them out also :). Is there one that you mentioned that you prefer ?
Affordable mp3 players have been disappearing -- probably replaced by phones. If you look through the no-name cheap mp3 players on Ali Express you're probably going find glitchy firmware or other annoyances.

What you are perfectly describing is the old Sansa Clip+ or Clip Plus -- not to be confused, though Sandisk really tried, with the Clip Zip or Clip Sport or original Clip, none of which were nearly as good.

The Clip+ has square buttons, not a round wheel. It was tiny but (unlike original Clip) had a microSD card slot for more capacity -- and yes, it had a clip. They do show up on Ebay but not under $30.

The original Sansa Fuze -- not to be confused with the crummy Fuze Plus -- was also a great player, with a little more power than the Clip Plus. But it had a rubberized back that got sticky and icky with age; I have covered mine with Saran Wrap on the back.

I like the compactness of the MP3 player over the phone that's why I much prefer them. I think the Sandisk I was originally going to get was the Clip sport, though with the 3rd-party software is was suppose to be better? The price of them seem to have all increased. Looking on Amazon, there's other brands but none that I recognise.

The Yincrow X6 is $10 on Aliexpress and sounds really good, best value for the money in audio. Don't need an amplifier, but the Apple 3.5mm to USB adapter and USBPlayer Pro (if Android) will finish it off for best quality sound. Stick with 44.1khz/16 bit FLAC and you'll have a great experience. The Truthear Crinnacle Zero blue is a direct upgrade if the budget allows ($45 USD or lower used/on sale).

Thanks, I'll check them out. I would have much preferred a standalone MP3 player rather than a phone due to a phone bulkyness. I'll check though out anyway. :)

I have to disagree about the Yincrow X6. I bought them on the hype here and elsewhere; the red color looked cool too. And they weren't a big spend but I still regret it. If you want bloated bass, metallic vocals and muffled highs they are just the thing. Otherwise drop another $10 on one of @baskingshark's recommended IEMs.
Could you have received a bad pair or counterfit ? Where did you buy from?

What if I were to increase my budget to $100aud ($64usd) total for both. Would that open up more options?

If I did go the phone route, are there any small, cheap, lightweight phones that have good audio out for playing lossless audio?

Sep 6, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 10
I'll check out the dongle, though I wanted to avoid using a phone due to its bulkyness. My phone's the Galaxy S9+ & even when I had the smaller Galaxy S3 it was still too big.
Thanks for the suggestion on earphones too, I'll check them out also :). Is there one that you mentioned that you prefer ?

Salnotes Zero is neutral bright, quite analytical and sterile.

Tangzu Wan'er IEM is warmish and less technical, though thicker in note weight and more laid-back.

Simgot EW200 is like a mini Tanchjim Oxygen, technical and agile, pretty good for the coin.

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 10
Worry about buying Aliexpress or worry about the cheaper earphones being clones?
Worry about them being clones at that price point.

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 10

I like the compactness of the MP3 player over the phone that's why I much prefer them. I think the Sandisk I was originally going to get was the Clip sport, though with the 3rd-party software is was suppose to be better? The price of them seem to have all increased. Looking on Amazon, there's other brands but none that I recognise.

Thanks, I'll check them out. I would have much preferred a standalone MP3 player rather than a phone due to a phone bulkyness. I'll check though out anyway. :)

Could you have received a bad pair or counterfit ? Where did you buy from?

What if I were to increase my budget to $100aud ($64usd) total for both. Would that open up more options?

If I did go the phone route, are there any small, cheap, lightweight phones that have good audio out for playing lossless audio?
I don't think anyone is going to bother to counterfeit something as cheap as the Yincrows. I got mine from Gratituding Store but...whatever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back