Need suggestions of good IEMs or earbuds @ $75-$100
Dec 7, 2008 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

blak000

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some good, quality headphones in the range of $75-$100 (will consider spending a little bit more if I have to). I plan on buying a pair for my girlfriend and me. We're mainly going to use them for studying (while at the library), and working out.

I generally listen to jazz and jazzy hip-hop, but I also enjoy house, folk, and some rock. My girlfriend likes to listen to 80's and 90's music (old-school hip-hop, some R&B, etc.). I'm not really a stickler for looks, but I'm sure my gf will probably want something that looks nice. In short, I want an IEM/ earbud that'll give me some decent bass and good sound isolation, but be sturdy enough for working out.

Right now, I've got my eye on the Ety ER6i, but various posts on here have mentioned that they're lacking in bass. Also been looking at the Denon C751 and the UE super.fi4 (read about flimsy construction with them, though).

Any suggestions? If you think we'd be better off getting different headphones, that's fine, too. If my requirements are a bit out of my price range, I'd like to hear what you think best fits the bill; however, I'm really not looking to drop $200 on a pair of IEM's. If I'm going to pay for top quality sound, I'd rather buy a pair of full-sizes.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 3
Eh, since one of your requirements is working out, I recommend the Altec Lansing UHP336 (I think this'll be th 9th time this week that I've recommended them). They are rebranded UE Super.fi 3 Studio monitors, and they can be bought for $40 a set Altec Lansing Upgrader UHP336 Stereo Earphone - UHP336 - Buy.com (I'm not sure how much longer this deal will last).

Anyways, I work out in them, because I honestly don't feel comfortable working out in my $100+ headphones. The UHP336 normally retail for $100+, and they have very nice punchy bass and good sound stage. My workout music includes hip hop, trance, rock, and funk.

The UHP336 have a couple nice features for working out, they have a flexi-wire like over the ear construction, which allows them to stay on your ears better. Detachable cord. And they are as noise isolating as any other Ultimate Ears earphone. about 26dB noise reduction. There are lots of tips to play around with.

The only downside with the UE, is that they stick out of your ears more than some other smaller profile earphones. It bothers some people, but it's not something I'm concerned about. In general though, the UHP336 are an amazing bang for buck, especially since they're on sale now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back