Need suggestions for web site look and feel
Mar 1, 2006 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Captain

500+ Head-Fier
Can people help me out. I am about to invest a load of money into a web site to advertise what my delicatessen dose, also to sell product on line. I am looking for ideas, these are a couple of site I have found that I like the look of.link link link

If any body could give me some links to more sites for ideas (looks, shopping cart lay out) would be appreciated.

Trying to stay away from this sort of thing link link

This is the web site that came with business Link not so hot.

Really appreciate help on this one.

Thanks

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 15
that fine cheese one looks really great - try to go with something like that!

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 15
If i would make a single suggestion it would be to keep it simple and fast loading.Nothing is more aggravating than a "busy" looking web page that while in the process of trying to be cool ends up no more than a pain in the butt distraction where actual information hard to weasle out.

Even a fast internet connection likes a low bandwidth site if it is content over flash the person is looking for

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
If i would make a single suggestion it would be to keep it simple and fast loading.Nothing is more aggravating than a "busy" looking web page that while in the process of trying to be cool ends up no more than a pain in the butt distraction where actual information hard to weasle out.

Even a fast internet connection likes a low bandwidth site if it is content over flash the person is looking for

I completely agree. Besides a minimalistic a simple design is a much more atractive and can also look professional.
Avoid a lot of animations and heavy applets/scripts.

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm the last person to ask about web design but I "can" tell you that the most important thing is ensuring your website is "optimised" for the search engines. You want it page one number one on a google search, no point it being page 33,667 out of 459,000. Unless it's properly optimised it will be as good as invisible so make sure the web designer is going to optimise it for prime place in all the search engines too.

ie: search for x-can v2 on google, you want to be on page one number one... not page 2500. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=x-can+v2&meta=

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I'm the last person to ask about web design but I "can" tell you that the most important thing is ensuring your website is "optimised" for the search engines. You want it page one number one on a google search, no point it being page 33,667 out of 459,000. Unless it's properly optimised it will be as good as invisible so make sure the web designer is going to optimise it for prime place in all the search engines too.

ie: search for x-can v2 on google, you want to be on page one number one... not page 2500. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=x-can+v2&meta=

Sure do agree, as part of their package im buying their is maintenance which will get good Google placement.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 15
Personally, I think that the first link (http://www.gourmetwarehouse.co.uk/) would be most beneficial to your business. It lacks any clutter and looks professional and upscale. If these are the types of things that you're business is built upon and you want to convey to the customer than it's a nice design. If your webpage appears to be premier, customers will respond in kind.

I don't know exactly how one goes about getting their webpage to the top of Google's pecking order, but it's important that you do. You could have the best webpage around but if it doesn't show up on Page 1 than your page will be almost ineffective (sounds harsh, but I rarely ever take the time to click to page 2 let alone any further). Most people I talk to are the same in this respect.

Regardless of your choice make sure the page is secure, reliable and intuitive.

good luck!

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
I don't know exactly how one goes about getting their webpage to the top of Google's pecking order

A lot of really hard, time consuming, work that's how! No such thing as a free lunch when it comes to optimising websites for the search engines and very few web design companies have the time to do it, they just use crappy submission wizards and charge the earth for it. To get good page ranking you must set up reciprocal links with other sites, keywords, meta tags.... loads of things which I will not divulge here as I've got it down to a fine art and don't want to give any secrets away
very_evil_smiley.gif
Remember, there will only be one website that is page one NUMBER ONE, make sure it's yours, second or third will not do! You can imagine if there are 6 million similar sites just how skillful it is getting yours on page one NUMBER one
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 15
I'd avoid a splash screen.
Simple and calm cool colors shade of... something lol
Minamilist! look at amazon (besides the pictures of what they're selling ofcourse) simple, clean, good use of color (draws your eyes to links/buttons).
Also i'd avoid the yahoo shopping look if you're spending loads of money on this thing.

I think you should avoid the flash approach unless you were advertising something like a fashion designer but I can't imagine loads of shopping involved in something like that. If you were selling maybe one or two things it would be really nice however.

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One year later, eventually went live last week, here you go LINK On line shop goes on early next year.

Mmmm, look delicious.

If it's officially live, you should update the old website to redirect to the new one there are a few internet directories that link to the old website and people arrive to a the currently inactive page, and maybe correct web link on internet directories so they link to the new website.

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm, look delicious.

If it's officially live, you should update the old website to redirect to the new one there are a few internet directories that link to the old website and people arrive to a the currently inactive page, and maybe correct web link on internet directories so they link to the new website.

Thanks. Already on the case, should be sorted in the next couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back