Need suggestions for portable headphones
Mar 19, 2010 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TouchOfEvil

Head-Fier
I am looking to get a set of portable headphones but they will for the most part be used at home.
I was looking at the Ultrasone HFI-780's but i can not listen to them before hand.
I like alot of bass with a warm midrange and not too overly bright highs.
I need them to isolate fairly well as the kids and such play in the same room as well as watch tv. often.
I listen to alot of metal but overall they will be used for just about everything.
I recently picked up the Pannasonic HJE900 for my IEM's to use at the gym and overall they are pleasant to listen to so something that could build on that sound would work out. I just don't want to have a IEM in my ear all day long so thats why i want the portable set.
What do you guys think?
o2smile.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 8
I have heard good things about the Ultrasone's but can not give any first hand experience but saw this in the FS forum and thought you might find it interesting...

HFI-780's for sale

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 8
I struggle with most of the portables due to comfort issues with my glasses (alot of them rest and clamp to hard on my ears). I have owned and like sonically the Audio Technica ES7 and have heard and liked even more the AT ESW9. If you can afford the ESW9 they are a very nice sounding headphone with nice natural sounding bass, good mids and highs that are not to bright.

I have listened to the Shure 840 and 440 and found the 840 reaslly needs an amp to play properly whereas the 440 is easier to drive but also does not have as much bass.

For a good deal dollar wise the JVC HAM750 is also very bassy and is suppoed to improve with burnin. (I tried them but took thyem back to the store as the price in Canada is double the US prices and as such they were not worth that dollar amount but if you can get them for around $50 they are a solid choice).

While I have not heard the next model myself personally I have heard several Denon's including the D1001 (pretty strong bass) and found they were very nice. From what I am told the Creative Labs Aurvana is the exact same headphone as the D1001, just rebadged. If you live in the US Costco was selling them for around $50-60 which is a very good price. I tried to buy a pair in Canada but unfortunately nobosy is selling them up here anymore.

Finally the Ultrasone headphones do sound very nice (at least the couple models I have been able to listen to at head-fi meets were anyway but they were also higher end Ultrasones).

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 8
JBL Reference 420 has lots of deep punchy bass but Ultrasone certin models willbe very bass heavy too with even overall more clear sound and huge soundstage.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 8
I have heard good things about the NuForce uDac, it is supposed to be powerfull enough to drive a pair of HD600 fairly decently according to HeadphoneAddict and be a decent DAC if you get a better amp later. I suspect it would drive the Ultrasones pretty well since they have are only 35ohm headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back