Need Suggestions for Over-ear Headphones (details enclosed) $400 budget
Nov 23, 2011 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

grafstrb

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

My name is Brian, and I’ve been lurking here for awhile, using the search function extensively and reading tons and tons of review threads in search of a new pair of over-ear headphones.  Right before I arrived at this site (by recommendation), I was of the mind that I was going to buy a pair of Dre Beats Pro.  That idea is now a thing of the past.  I’ve gone to all the stores in my area to sample over-ears, and was able to compare the Beats Pro against the Denon AH-D2000.  I thought the Beats were more “fun,” but I could easily tell the Denon is the better headphones.  As far as what other kind of selection my local stores has --- well, pretty much nothing.  Soooooo, I have to make a purchase blind, really, which is where I’m hoping y’all can help me out.

When I found this site I was glad to read that my impression of the Beats Pro mirrors what you folks here believe, and I was also glad to have found a place that’s loaded with people who know *a lot* more than me about headphones!  At first, I didn’t understand the frequency response charts I see posted here, but I have since figured them out and consider them highly valuable information.  Other technical aspects of headphones … well, let’s just say I’m still learning!

So, like many (most? … all?) newbies, my first post here is one where I’m going to ask for your advice.  I know a first post asking for help is somewhat taboo, but, honestly, I don’t think I know enough to really have anything of value to contribute to other threads here --- I just enjoy reading them!  Plus, I feel that I can trust you folks to shoot straight with me: y’all know what’s up, and your collective knowledge absolutely blows me away, unlike the guy at that store where I tried-out the Beats -- he wouldn’t shut-up about how awesome they are, even after I told him I preferred the Denons.  So, obviously I cannot trust the ignorant and biased salesmen out there.  In short, I can’t think of better people to ask assistance of, and I hope you will be receptive to my request.

In searching this board, I’ve stumbled upon other threads where people ask for headphone recs..  I’ve noticed these posters are usually asked follow-up questions to help guide the recs. they’re given, so I’m going to try to preemptively answer as many of those questions as I can.

So, a bit about my musical preferences, setup, and budget to help guide your recs.:
-- I *love* music, but am not an “audiophile.”
-- I like many different kinds of music.  The styles of music I listen to most often are heavy metal, hip-hop, and electronic (with an emphasis on drum ‘n’ bass). 
-- I also enjoy blues, jazz, rock ‘n’ roll, alternative, and classic rock.

-- I’m looking for over-ear headphones
-- I don’t want noise-cancelling technology
-- I am interested in noise-isolation headphones
-- I *am* a bass-whore, but I don’t want to compromise mids and highs, as I listen to a lot of metal, and I don’t want my metal sounding weird and/or harsh.

-- My “setup” is none: I don’t own an EQ or an amp, and would rather not buy one at this point in time.
-- Most of the time, I listen to my headphones through my computer or iPod
-- I have a pretty narrow head, and average size ears

-- my budget is $400, but I would like to keep it closer to $300, if possible.

Some headphones I’m presently considering include the following (I’d be interested in hearing your opinions on how these headphones compare to each other, and how appropriate you think they would be for me, considering my musical preferences and (lack of a) setup (I’ve included the prices I would pay if I buy them brand new):
Ultrasone Pro 900  ($329)
Denon AH-D2000  ($350)
Shure SRH940  ($225) (don’t think I’d dig the velour pads; I assume I could buy dif. Pads, though) 
Sennheiser HD650  ($375)

-- I’m *very open* to other suggestions.

-- Finally, *THANK YOU* for taking the time to read all this and help me out.  With your help, I can find a new set of headphones that will keep me smiling!

- Brian :)

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
Hi guys,
My name is Brian, and I’ve been lurking here for awhile, using the search function extensively and reading tons and tons of review threads in search of a new pair of over-ear headphones.  Right before I arrived at this site (by recommendation), I was of the mind that I was going to buy a pair of Dre Beats Pro.  That idea is now a thing of the past.  I’ve gone to all the stores in my area to sample over-ears, and was able to compare the Beats Pro against the Denon AH-D2000.  I thought the Beats were more “fun,” but I could easily tell the Denon is the better headphones.  As far as what other kind of selection my local stores has --- well, pretty much nothing.  Soooooo, I have to make a purchase blind, really, which is where I’m hoping y’all can help me out.
When I found this site I was glad to read that my impression of the Beats Pro mirrors what you folks here believe, and I was also glad to have found a place that’s loaded with people who know *a lot* more than me about headphones!  At first, I didn’t understand the frequency response charts I see posted here, but I have since figured them out and consider them highly valuable information.  Other technical aspects of headphones … well, let’s just say I’m still learning!
So, like many (most? … all?) newbies, my first post here is one where I’m going to ask for your advice.  I know a first post asking for help is somewhat taboo, but, honestly, I don’t think I know enough to really have anything of value to contribute to other threads here --- I just enjoy reading them!  Plus, I feel that I can trust you folks to shoot straight with me: y’all know what’s up, and your collective knowledge absolutely blows me away, unlike the guy at that store where I tried-out the Beats -- he wouldn’t shut-up about how awesome they are, even after I told him I preferred the Denons.  So, obviously I cannot trust the ignorant and biased salesmen out there.  In short, I can’t think of better people to ask assistance of, and I hope you will be receptive to my request.
In searching this board, I’ve stumbled upon other threads where people ask for headphone recs..  I’ve noticed these posters are usually asked follow-up questions to help guide the recs. they’re given, so I’m going to try to preemptively answer as many of those questions as I can.
So, a bit about my musical preferences, setup, and budget to help guide your recs.:
-- I *love* music, but am not an “audiophile.”
-- I like many different kinds of music.  The styles of music I listen to most often are heavy metal, hip-hop, and electronic (with an emphasis on drum ‘n’ bass). 
-- I also enjoy blues, jazz, rock ‘n’ roll, alternative, and classic rock.
-- I’m looking for over-ear headphones
-- I don’t want noise-cancelling technology
-- I am interested in noise-isolation headphones
-- I *am* a bass-whore, but I don’t want to compromise mids and highs, as I listen to a lot of metal, and I don’t want my metal sounding weird and/or harsh.
-- My “setup” is none: I don’t own an EQ or an amp, and would rather not buy one at this point in time.
-- Most of the time, I listen to my headphones through my computer or iPod
-- I have a pretty narrow head, and average size ears
-- my budget is $400, but I would like to keep it closer to $300, if possible.
Some headphones I’m presently considering include the following (I’d be interested in hearing your opinions on how these headphones compare to each other, and how appropriate you think they would be for me, considering my musical preferences and (lack of a) setup (I’ve included the prices I would pay if I buy them brand new):
Ultrasone Pro 900  ($329)
Denon AH-D2000  ($350)
Shure SRH940  ($225) (don’t think I’d dig the velour pads; I assume I could buy dif. Pads, though) 
Sennheiser HD650  ($375)
-- I’m *very open* to other suggestions.
-- Finally, *THANK YOU* for taking the time to read all this and help me out.  With your help, I can find a new set of headphones that will keep me smiling!
- Brian :)

The Sennheiser HD-650 are 300-Ohm, they need a headphone amplifier.
Others are ok.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 16
Thank you for your response, PA.  Although I'm not against buying a headphone amp in the future, it woudn't be happening anytime soon.  I'll take the Sennheiser's off my list.

Between the others, do you have a preference?
Denon AH-D2000
Ultrasone Pro 900
Shure SRH940

Or are none of them your type of can (I see none are listed in your sig., but perhaps you have feelings about them one way or another?)?

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 16
Heya,

PRO900 will sound weird with most things you listen to like metal, it's mids are recessed and has bright treble. It's very bassy. But bass is pretty much it's only strength and only real recommendation point (only for a pure, pure bass head).
SRH940 will sound like a hallow "where's the bass" toy to you, since you're a basshead. Avoid.
HD650 will be a very smooth, relaxing, soft listen with some decent bass; a very mellow easy sound. Requires a pretty able amplifier, so your cost shoots up by at least another $115 or more just because of amplification needs (got a receiver maybe?).

D2000 will do what you want. All the big sub bass (60~150hz bass is probably not bass to you, you're a basshead, 30hz is the bass you want, and the D2000 will give it to you). It's great for all the genres you mentioned. It's not perfect. But it's excellent for this price range and your situation (no amp, emphasis on big bass, but it will also play things nicely since it's a pretty flat headphone in general).

Very best,

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Heya,

PRO900 will sound weird with most things you listen to like metal, it's mids are recessed and has bright treble. It's very bassy. But bass is pretty much it's only strength and only real recommendation point (only for a pure, pure bass head).
SRH940 will sound like a hallow "where's the bass" toy to you, since you're a basshead. Avoid.
HD650 will be a very smooth, relaxing, soft listen with some decent bass; a very mellow easy sound. Requires a pretty able amplifier, so your cost shoots up by at least another $115 or more just because of amplification needs (got a receiver maybe?).

D2000 will do what you want. All the big sub bass (60~150hz bass is probably not bass to you, you're a basshead, 30hz is the bass you want, and the D2000 will give it to you). It's great for all the genres you mentioned. It's not perfect. But it's excellent for this price range and your situation (no amp, emphasis on big bass, but it will also play things nicely since it's a pretty flat headphone in general).

Very best,

Thanks, MalVeauX.

I do have a receiver (ancient Technics that I purchased mainly because it's rated to run 4 ohm speakers), so I could easily plug-in to that while at home.  I really appreciate the advice you've given me.  I was really impressed with the D2000 when I listened to it, but it just got me wondering what else is out there.  A friend told me I needed to check-out this forum, so I did.  I was (still am) overwhelmed by the options that I've discovered to exist.  I've tried tackling the onslaught of options and information, and came-up with that list above, but today I reached a breaking point where I just couldn't keep reading 150+ page threads that all started to sound the same, and that all contain such varied information.  I thought it best to finally bite the bullet and come out of hiding.  Thanks for helping me. :)

- Brian

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 16
Screw it.  After doing some cursory research into how much a portable amp costs, I've decided I'm willing to get one if that's what it takes to get the right set of cans.

MVX, would you suggest the Sennheiser HD650's over the Denon AHD2000 if I'm willing to get a proper portable amp?  Or, would you suggest that I stick with the Denons?

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Screw it.  After doing some cursory research into how much a portable amp costs, I've decided I'm willing to get one if that's what it takes to get the right set of cans.

MVX, would you suggest the Sennheiser HD650's over the Denon AHD2000 if I'm willing to get a proper portable amp?  Or, would you suggest that I stick with the Denons?

That's a preference thing. I have both. I don't really care for the HD650 myself. It's boring to me, it's so laid back, mellow, chill, no excitement at all, it's a dark moody headphone. Granted, it's a good headphone. Lots of people love it for that very reason, it's so easy to listen to, doesn't fatigue you. It covers every genre very well. You'll see some call it bassy, and it is a little bassy, but it's not a basshead can or something (meaning, it's not super bassy at all, it's just a bit more bassy than something that would be considered completely flat or neutral). The HD650 to me had no sparkle, no energy. Just smooth pulses or waves of music coming out. Again, for some this is great and they love that. For me, I like a little more brightness, I like some sparkle, some energy, a little more bite & attack. The D2000 is that. You'd really have to just listen to the HD650 to know for yourself if it's more up your alley.

Very best,

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 16
Just a small tip; check out the deals thread here, some of the headphones can be had for quite a bit less, such as the HD650 for around ~$330 from a couple sellers. I believe I saw mention of a pretty cheap D2000 there recently as well.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:

Portable headphone amplifiers
Fiio E6, E7, E10 or E11
One of those would work, depending what features you looking for or just like.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm "open" headphones $175
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm "closed" headphones $175

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 16
thanks for the tip, Aaron.  I have been watching the FS/WTB subforum, but it seems all the D2000's that have been listed recently have been snatched-up almost immediately  (I guess that's a good sign!)

Purple Angel and MalVeauX,
THank you for your respective follow-ups.

PA,
Would you consider those Beyerdynamics on par with, or better than, the D2000's?  It looks like an set of the Beyers + amp is approximately equal to the cost of only the D2000's.

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Bump.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Denon AH-D2000's. 

Does anyone have *any* rec. that they feel is better for my musical preferences in my stated price-range?  Please note: I'm now planning on buying a FiiO e7 DAC/Amp, so I guess I'm now open to cans that are a good pair to the e7.  Thanks y'all.
dt880smile.png

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Bump.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Denon AH-D2000's. 

Does anyone have *any* rec. that they feel is better for my musical preferences in my stated price-range?  Please note: I'm now planning on buying a FiiO e7 DAC/Amp, so I guess I'm now open to cans that are a good pair to the e7.  Thanks y'all.
dt880smile.png

Denon 2000's all the way. They sound great on the E7. IMHO that combo is one of the best bargans out there today.

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 16
hold on..

...when the hell did D2000's go over even $250?  much less $350 as in the OP?  Weren't they $199 not so many months ago? 

Edit: well I'll be damned.  They've gone up $150 since I last owned a pair.  Ridiculous.  Anyway, if you buy them from J&R, HAGGLE.  For the love of God, talk them down on that price. 

Edit 2: wow...my D7000s are pretty much double what I paid for them new 10 months ago.  What...

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
hold on..

...when the hell did D2000's go over even $250?  much less $350 as in the OP?  Weren't they $199 not so many months ago? 

Edit: well I'll be damned.  They've gone up $150 since I last owned a pair.  Ridiculous.  Anyway, if you buy them from J&R, HAGGLE.  For the love of God, talk them down on that price. 

Edit 2: wow...my D7000s are pretty much double what I paid for them new 10 months ago.  What...

The floods. They have gone up sense then along with hard drive prices. You can still find some decent prices on ebay last time I looked, but around the 250 range. Amazon prices are crazy.

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:

The floods. They have gone up sense then along with hard drive prices. You can still find some decent prices on ebay last time I looked, but around the 250 range. Amazon prices are crazy.

I was going to guess that, but wasn't sure.  Crazy prices indeed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back