Need suggestions for my first headphone
Mar 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomDrive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I probably wouldn't be looking at the HD555 because it requires amps...

Not sure where you read that, but it doesn't. None of these phones require amps.

Quote:

...an AD700 might be overkill for my ipod and the onboard sound card on my laptop.

I use all my headphones straight from my laptop, including my AD700. :O)

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by CFabian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it'll probably sound pretty redundant at this point, but:

For Open / Home use: ATH-AD700 (not to be confused with the A700, which are a closed design and supposedly sound completely different)
For Closed / Portable use: Denon D1001

You may also want to consider the MS-1. I've never listened to it personally but impressions are generally pretty favorable and it does fall within your price range.

I have MS1s and they're great headphones for the price. But they need some boosting to the bass, if the OP wants it punchy.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #18 of 29
In somewhat the same boat as yourself. I picked up a pair of SR60's a couple months ago and they've been treating me well, although they're not very comfortable plus they leak sound like none other. I just bought a pair of ATH-A700's from the sale forums here and from what I've heard they're really comfortable.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have MS1s and they're great headphones for the price. But they need some boosting to the bass, if the OP wants it punchy.

I guess I'll add the MS-1 to my list as well.. how comfortable are they? the design looks similar to the sr60/80 so I'm a little worried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky
I use all my headphones straight from my laptop, including my AD700. :O)

I heard somewhere that without proper hardwares, good quality headphones would sound like $30 headphones... I have no idea whether this is true or not so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, any comfortable headphone below $100 is welcomed. I am mainly looking for headphones that I should try out before buying, so the more names I get the better. Thanks for the helps.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #20 of 29
If the 555 is anything like the 595, then I couldn't imagine needing an amp. The 595's require less volume than my iPod and OMX-80's.

IIRC, it has more to do with something called an impedance rating than the physical size of the phones. Also, cheaper phones seem to require more volume because you have to turn them up higher to reproduce details.

However, I would avoid the HD555/595's, for comfort reasons. Get something lighter, with more comfortable support. The headband really hurt my head until I modded it with some additional foam, but it looks ugly that way. And they still mess my hair up terribly, so bad that I have to wash it right after listening or walk around with my head looking like a molded packing insert.

The OMX-80's I could wear all day, but they may be a bit below your desired budget/quality. The flex tips are perfect, though: You can bend them any way you like -- around the ear, back around your head, etc. -- which works well for people like me who wear glasses.

I've worn IEMs (Shure E4c's w/ the optional triple flange tips ?) all day before, and my ears hurt so badly from shoving the tips in/out that I just couldn't wear them anymore. Nice sound, though. They doubled as hearing protection, too. Sweat (from wearing while working outside) eventually killed them. Maybe I just got a bad model (comfort-wise), but I would seriously research the comfort level of any IEMs you are considering.

Also, getting IEMs to seal properly (for sound quality) can be a total b**** if the tips you get aren't well designed and/or can't fit your ears. You also have to worry about wax, just from normal usage. (I'm assuming good ear hygiene). Foam tips need to be replaced regularly; plastic tips can be removed and washed. Plastic tip discoloration can be fixed by placing them out in the sun for a few hours.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by as.we.proceed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most recomended comfortable $100 headphones around here are the AHD1001.

I also suggest these as well. I have a huge head and these fit me just fine.
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

I guess I'll add the MS-1 to my list as well.. how comfortable are they? the design looks similar to the sr60/80 so I'm a little worried.

I don't have issues regarding comfort with my MS1s. They have flats, and I have a "normal-sized" head.

Quote:

I heard somewhere that without proper hardwares, good quality headphones would sound like $30 headphones... I have no idea whether this is true or not so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, from my experience, those cheap-o MPx (where x can be 3, 4, 5 or infinity) players from China have terrible sound quality. One of my friends tried his with my Atrio M5s (which have great bass). I told him: "Hey, dude, this MP3 player should be defective. There's no bass coming from that thing..." My Cowon D2, on the other hand, have great sound and bass. So I'm inclined to say that the source is important. Well encoded music also helps a lot, IMO.
Quote:

Also, any comfortable headphone below $100 is welcomed. I am mainly looking for headphones that I should try out before buying, so the more names I get the better. Thanks for the helps.

Some you can try:
  • M-Audio Q40: I haven't had comfort issues with them. Great bass, although sometimes it does get overwhelming;
  • Ultrasone HFI-450: Haven't tried them, but I have the HFI-780, which have a similarly designed headband. Haven't have comfortable issues with them either. Bass on the Ultrasones is usually great (my HFI-780s are awesome in this respect);
  • Sennheiser HD215: They're told to be comfortable, but they have somewhat odd looks, and are told to be lean on bass.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #23 of 29
I just ordered the AHD1001 from ecost.com for $82 shipped. My previous best headphones were AR "professional". I'm looking forward to seeing what the real thing is like, though I guess these are still introductory level to many here.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #24 of 29
I just want to clear a few things up, as this thread seems to be speckled with misconceptions and typos.

The AD700 and Grado line are open headphones, and I would not be happy with you if I was at the library trying to study and you were listening to even moderate volumes within 15 feet of me. So just be aware these leak sound quite a bit.

Most people find the Grados uncomfortable. They also have a controversial sound. I don't like them myself. There are better options.

The D1001 seems like it would work well for you. I think it has a more fun sound than the AD700 or the Grados. The great thing about these is that they're quite small for a full sized headphone. They are extremely comfortable, even for large heads. And you can find them for around $75-100 if you look hard.

Now with all that said, if you can tolerate a larger headphone I highly recommend the JVC RX700. Its the same size as the AD700 but its closed so you won't be bothering anyone (and no one will bother you) but it sounds bassy full and fun like the D1001, but better. And its only $34. There is no better value out there, I guarantee. I find it to be nearly as good as the $350 D2000. Get it and you'll be happy. If you want to compromise for size, get the D1001.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #25 of 29
Look at low ohm headsets if you don't want to buy an amp. Like 35-55 ohm should be fine.

Again, IEM or buds fit your needs. The Yuin PK2 btw are buds, and don't seal into your ear like IEM and don't require an amp and have nice tight bass, so much you will wonder how they do it. Here is the PK1 (higher model, needs an amp) and the PK2 appreciation thread link. I don't know of anyone not pleased with the Yuins. I have the closed version of the Audio Technicas, they are quit large yet with low ohms an iPod has no trouble driving them. They are unbelievable comfortable but again, are pretty large. They sound very good, nice and clear, moderate bass. They seal out sound rather well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/y...thread-227027/

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick1ru2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at low ohm headsets if you don't want to buy an amp. Like 35-55 ohm should be fine.

which is why i am trying to avoid the hd555, since i heard it has a impedance of around 50 ohms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick1ru2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, IEM or buds fit your needs. The Yuin PK2 btw are buds, and don't seal into your ear like IEM and don't require an amp and have nice tight bass, so much you will wonder how they do it. Here is the PK1 (higher model, needs an amp) and the PK2 appreciation thread link. I don't know of anyone not pleased with the Yuins. I have the closed version of the Audio Technicas, they are quit large yet with low ohms an iPod has no trouble driving them. They are unbelievable comfortable but again, are pretty large. They sound very good, nice and clear, moderate bass. They seal out sound rather well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/y...thread-227027/

The problem is that I find most ear buds to be uncomfortable for a long period of use, which is why I am looking for open or closed headphones instead.

Here's my new list:
sr60/80
AD700
D1001
RX700
HD215

btw, is there anything I should look out for when trying out these headphones? I'll probably just play a few tracks through each headphone to see how comfortable they are and how they sound.

Again, any comfortable headphones below $100 is welcomed, as long as they sound good for their price.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #27 of 29
I was also worried about the comfort of the SR-60's after reading around these forums, but the sound quality was supposed to be amazing. I ended up buying them as my first phones and I do not regret it, I actually think they are pretty comfortable.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #28 of 29
I have the SR80 and the closed version of the AD700. The thing with the Grados is that they sit on top of your ear, are made of coarse, hard foam, and when you first get them, are tight. Versus other more comfortable cans that have a soft cushion that goes around your ear and are not tight. But, Grado has stopped making the regular SR models and has made some changes/improvements and the new models for 2009 have an "i" after the model name. So instead of SR80 its the SR80i. I am sure they addressed comfort issues. But again, not something you want to take to the library, you can hear the SR's and probably the AD700 across a room and even farther in a large quiet place like a library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back