Need suggestions for dvd watching through a receiver, ~$200
Sep 3, 2007 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

conklin2

New Head-Fier
My downstairs neighbor seems to be going to bed earlier, which combined with my watching dvds late at night has lead to a few irritated phone calls from said neighbor.

It's time to get some headphones.

So, they'll be for watching dvds on a Sony DVP-NC80V dvd player though a Sony DA333ES receiver. Some TiVo watching as well, though I'm guessing that's less demanding than the dvds.

They need to be able to handle dialog-heavy cinema as well as big action explosion flicks (and the occasional film that combines the two, ala Serenity).

As they're for dvd watching, they need to be comfortable for at least 2.5 hours of continual wear. Five hours would be better for the occasional double-feature.

Open or closed doesn't matter. If they're open and noisy my cat can go into the other room if it bothers her enough. I'm open to wireless but am far from impressed by the reviews I've read.

My budget maxes in the neighborhood of $200, though I'd prefer under $150.

I've been eying the Sennheiser 555s and 595s but haven't made any kind of decision.

Also, if there's any advise regarding extension cables given my specific setup, I'd appreciate it. I'll be sitting about 9 feet from the receiver, so with some slack for comfort I'll probably need a total of 12+ feet of cable, something I doubt you'll find on the headphones themselves.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 17
I can vouch for the HD555 being good for movies. The cable is 3 metres long, how much is that in feet?
The HD555 has a very good soundstage which makes it suitable for movie viewing. It's very comfortable and has a laid back sound signature which means you can wear them long periods. Get them used or off ebay, they go for far below their official RRP.

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by skellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can vouch for the HD555 being good for movies. The cable is 3 metres long, how much is that in feet?

approximatly 39" X 3m = a little less than 3" (7.5cm) short of 10 feet,
basically a 10' cable.

Sep 3, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 17
How about a Sennheiser PX-100? Great sound for the $$. You'll need an extension cord.

or...

You could always go to the other extreme and get a wireless AKG Hearo-999 Audiosphere II.

Here's the in between:
Wireless Cans

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by conklin2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks kwkarth, but those AKGs are a bit outside my budget.

I thought so, but what about all the others?

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

I've been eying the Sennheiser 555s and 595s but haven't made any kind of decision.

These are the two I would consider for movies from a receiver. I prefer the balance and dialogue from the HD555; however the HD595 is more dynamic and has more bass extension for a movie's LFE. For under $200 with a receiver, I'd probably go for the HD595.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 17
If your system doesn't already have Dolby Headphone, try the little JVC Dolby Headphone unit about $100.00 at audiocubes or Jandr. It probably needs and external amp to run good phones well. I use this with an old portable Stax amp with various Stax electrostatics, and it does a superb job on movies.

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Bump for the weekday crowd.

Hey Conklin, did you go to the link I put in my first response to you and look at all the possibilities? So what are your thoughts on those solutions?

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 17
Yes, I had already looked into the Sennheiser wireless models there, which were the headphones I was referring to when I said earlier, "I'm open to wireless but am far from impressed by the reviews I've read."

The feeling I've gotten of them is that they're good, for wireless headphones. Not great, and you lose a lot when going wireless.

Brass tacks: Good headphones that are also wireless will cost at least $500, double the equivalent wired. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Conklin, did you go to the link I put in my first response to you and look at all the possibilities? So what are your thoughts on those solutions?

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 17
Hehe, what about the Ultrasone HFI 700 DVD edition.

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Yes, I had already looked into the Sennheiser wireless models there, which were the headphones I was referring to when I said earlier, "I'm open to wireless but am far from impressed by the reviews I've read."

The feeling I've gotten of them is that they're good, for wireless headphones. Not great, and you lose a lot when going wireless.

Brass tacks: Good headphones that are also wireless will cost at least $500, double the equivalent wired. If I'm wrong please let me know.

That's why my first suggestion was for the PX-100's. Good bang for the buck and most of the time the venue doesn't warrant spending any more than that anyway.
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, what about the Ultrasone HFI 700 DVD edition.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back