Need suggestions, buying new headphones
Mar 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Yazen

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, first post here on head-fi.  I'm currently looking to switch to a new pair of heaphones, to begin I'd like to set a maximum spending cap at a maximum of $150 (not looking for $950 cans lol).

I'm currently own an ATH-AD700, while I like the overall mid clarity and comfort; there's a couple of issues that irk me:

1 - Lacks bass, I like listening to bands such as Rise Against and they lack a punch.  Just seems like the drums should thump harder.

2 - Not sure whether its the treble but I'm easily fatigued in some songs, its as if the higher frequencies are killing my eardrums.

I'd appreciate if anyone could recommend a pair of headphones that could solve my issues with my AD-700's.  They don't HAVE to have the same exact sound signature, looking for

1. Equal or better vocal reproduction (m/f), I listen to artists ranging from alternative (coldplay), grunge (pearl jam, flyleaf, others), and even folk metal (korpiklaani).  I really listen to a broad spectrum of music, minus the lil' wayne.  The ATH-AD700 did justice in this department.
  2. Detailed and accurate instrumental reproduction.  I really enjoy when I can hear all the instruments clearly.  The ATH-AD700's made rock and metal seem a bit dull.  Electronica such as Delphic right about destroyed my eardrums, the higher pitched noises really bother me with these cans.

I use my PC for listening, and I own a Xonar DG audio card (has built-in amp).  As far as impendence goes I think it amps up to 64 ohms, not the greatest I bet.

I do game as well, usually with the headphones on.  So comrades, two questions:

1. What is right for me?
  2. Should I keep the AD-700's to game? (fps, mmo)

P.S:  I thank the community for all the knowledge they've passed along, learned a lot from you all!  (before visiting this site I had thought beats were a quality ear-piece, bah)

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Appreciate your feedback, thanks.  I think I might try buying the Samson and augmenting it with one of the cans you listed.  Money isn't much of a concern of mine, however I am in college; need to put my money to better use :wink:

Going to research them all, thanks again.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
I use my PC for listening, and I own a Xonar DG audio card (has built-in amp).  As far as impedance goes I think it amps up to 64 ohms, not the greatest I bet.

The Asus Xonar DG can drive 250-ohm headphones, not very loud and some slightly off bass.
The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro have an 80-Ohm version.
You could try Superlux, you could get three different models shipped to you for $150 (Thomann in Europe).
Samson SR850s are made by Superlux. I have a pair, they are a great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back