Need suggestion in choosing the Right Headphones
Oct 1, 2014 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

patrickian01

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy new headphones this weekend and I need your advice. So here are my choices:

1.) Philips Fidelio X1
2.) Audio Technica M50

Here are some facts:

1.) My budget would be around 270$ only, which is roughly the price of the Fidelio X1.
2.) I would be using it mostly at home, listening to music, playing games and probably outside on very rare occasions.
3.) I mainly listen to pop, rock, pop-rock, punk, punk-rock, classical and electronic.
4.) What I would be looking for would be sound quality, comfortability and value for money.

Now here's the thing, The AT M50s are on sale. They are selling them for around 135$, which is half the price of the Fidelio X1.
My first question would be, would I notice a significant difference in the sound quality between the 2 headphones?

Currently, I have a beats solo and an a cheap Encore ENMAB-8CM DAC and I'm pretty much ok with the sound quality of what I
currently have. I was thinking of getting a better DAC like the Fiio E10k in the event that I get the M50s.

Now second question is, What would sound better, Fidelio X1s with the Encore ENMAB-8CM or the M50s with the Fiio E10k?

If you were in my place, what would you choose?
And one last question, comparing my current gear to what I would be getting soon, How much different would my listening experience be? Would I have eargasms or something like that?
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 3
  Welcome to head-fi

I notice you are into gaming, how important is positional accuracy for you?

Hmm. I don't really know what positional accuracy is but if I had to guess, I would assume that I am the character and I could identify where the sounds are coming from the environment of the game. If this is what you mean, then I would say that it's pretty much important to me, however, I won't be playing games too often and I would assume that this would be important to those who play FPS. I don't play FPS as much as I play RPGs but it would definately be a plus if it would have this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back