Need suggestion about sub-200USD sound card
Jul 28, 2004 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Richteralan

Head-Fier
yo guys
i recently sold my Audigy 2, and plan to get a better sound card in music.
I'm a music major student so i think it's quite normal....
redface.gif

ok...for sub-200USD price range, i found these 2...
E-mu 1212m
Terratec DMX 6 Fire

How these 2 compares? in both recording and playback quality?
confused.gif

Or you guys have other suggestions for this price range?
580smile.gif

thx a lot..

P.S. I did search but can't find any for terratec dmx 6 fire....
blink.gif
or maybe i missed something..

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 7
1212m, don't ask anymore, get yourself one, you can't do any better than this up till maybe Lynx cards costing a few times more.. contact Zemo to get your card for $165..

Jul 28, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

NO competition for the EMU 1212M in the $200 price range. Simply unbeatable.

Thats true providing that you are looking for a 2-channel card for music, but you don't tell us about your other gear or your intended uses.

Obviously if you have a 5.1 speaker setup, it isn't for you. If you are into gaming, you might like to keep the Audigy 2 as well as the EMU. Also, if you plan to use it with headphones, you really will need a headphone amp, as its output isn't really enough to drive anything but the lowest impedence cans. And even to do that you need to use some fairly messy adaptors (there is no headphone out).

But it is a great card and will be a massive step up in quality from your Audigy 2 (I have both). If you want to connect it to a 2-channel speaker system, or use it with a headphone amp, there doesn't seem to be anything close to the quality for the price.

Jul 29, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by davvy
Thats true providing that you are looking for a 2-channel card for music, but you don't tell us about your other gear or your intended uses.

Obviously if you have a 5.1 speaker setup, it isn't for you. If you are into gaming, you might like to keep the Audigy 2 as well as the EMU. Also, if you plan to use it with headphones, you really will need a headphone amp, as its output isn't really enough to drive anything but the lowest impedence cans. And even to do that you need to use some fairly messy adaptors (there is no headphone out).

But it is a great card and will be a massive step up in quality from your Audigy 2 (I have both). If you want to connect it to a 2-channel speaker system, or use it with a headphone amp, there doesn't seem to be anything close to the quality for the price.

yup i only have a 2.0 setup....
redface.gif

and i prefer music quality over gaming because music is more important to me.

i may need a headphone in the future as i live in dorm...
redface.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

yup i only have a 2.0 setup....

Quote:

and i prefer music quality over gaming because music is more important to me.

Sounds like the EMU would definitely be your best bet.

Quote:

i may need a headphone in the future as i live in dorm...

Whatever you do, don't hang around here any more. You will end up spending many times what you start off expecting to spend. I just wanted a decent pair of headphones for $100 or so and I have ended up spending about $1000 on 2 sets of cans and an amp.

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by davvy
Sounds like the EMU would definitely be your best bet.

Whatever you do, don't hang around here any more. You will end up spending many times what you start off expecting to spend. I just wanted a decent pair of headphones for $100 or so and I have ended up spending about $1000 on 2 sets of cans and an amp.

Sounds dangerous....
blink.gif
blink.gif
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back