Need Sub to Pair with Magnepan MMG's
Mar 2, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #16 of 24
SVS subs are more well-suited for HT duties than music, although i hear the pb13 does a very good job at music.

Go with Hsu/SVS/Rythmik/Elemental Designs/Epik/Velodyne and it's quite hard to go wrong. JL is over-priced for what it is, nuff said

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
So I had done a search to find a good sub that would pair up well with my MMG's but couldn't come up with a solid answer since most people say it is hard to pair a sub with planar speakers. I have around $1000 to spend. Please give me any suggestions or advice to help me pick one out.

My current setup:
Music Hall 5.1 TT -> Outlaw 2150 Receiver -> MMG's

I have your receiver and speakers and I use the Outlaw 10 inch sub which is designed bby HSU. Both those lines are outstanding subs and will mate perfectly with the 2150 and MMG. The MMG I use the internal crossover set at 50 with the subs amp as I think the MMG panels sound much better without the reciver bass managment.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
If your going with Maggies, you've got to go old-school amplification. Picked up a mint Adcom GFA-555 cheap and can put 325 watts/channel into the MMGs.

The 2150 he has and I have do well with the MMG  and put out 190W into the 4 ohm load and sound good and it is  more current than the 555.  They do not need that much power unless you have a 600 sq feet room. In my 13.5 X20.5 I cant play past 10 PM

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #21 of 24
I'm gonna gravedig this thread in hopes someone will answer my question.

I've got a pair of MMG's paired with a NAD 355BEE integrated amplifier. I'm really trying to buy a nice subwoofer that will make my music sound more realistic, so that I dont have to muddy my sounds anymore by turning up the bass on my Amp. However, I don't really want to spend what I paid on the speakers on the subwoofer. I'm looking at a max budget of 300$ (And by max, I mean i'd be more comfortable around 200$), and all of the sealed subwoofers i've looked at so far look to be upwards of 600 bucks.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #23 of 24
Just keep in mind that a sub is a big driver with a big enclosure AND an amplifier, and then it has to be shipped (and it's big, so it costs). Maggies are so accurate that you could very well be very disappointed with anything for $300 or less. Think about it. You have $1200 worth of speaker/amp and you are thinking $200-$300 in sub/amp is going to do much for you in terms of SQ?

I think you should wait at least until you could afford a sealed sub from SVS Audio.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #24 of 24
  Anyone?

I agree with cel4145's suggestion to go with an SVS sub if you can find room in your budget.  SVS subs are an excellent value.  I'd love to have an SVS SB13-Ultra myself.

Currently, I'm using a Hsu Research STF-2 10" Powered Subwoofer (200 Watts RMS) paired with a set of Mini Maggies in my small 10'x9' office. The STF-2 is a good match with the Mini and provides just enough bottom to be satisfying in my room.  I don't know where the MMG rolls off in your environment so I can't be certain about how seamless the STF-2 will be for you, but I have mine crossed over at 80Hz it blends well with the Mini.

Here's a link to my Mini Maggie review where I mention the HSU sub - http://www.head-fi.org/products/magnepan-mini-maggie-desktop-speaker-system/reviews/8105.  If you have a larger space you'd likely need something bigger.  If you don't mind waiting for a used STF-2 to pop up, you can probably find one that will fit your budget.  In the mean time, you can always save for an SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back