Need Sub $120 in-ears
Mar 3, 2019 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mukkish

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I'm looking for new in-ears and I need your help to decide.
Can/Would you please offer your suggestions?

Following are the requirements...
Under $100 would be better affordable but I can stretch another 20-30 if the earphones are 20-30% better.
I have TF10 and love their sound. Would like a bass lift by 6dB @ 80hz and the airiness of T2 (not pro, I find them harsh)
I also have FLC8S and use them without LF and MFHF filters, and a custom seal for ULF since the Red seal was producing too much distortion. Filter described in the review. The sound is again very good but I wouldn't mind the airiness of the T2s.

To describe the sound I like...
Need a lot of bass and lower mids without the sounding crowded or muffled.
There on, need an almost flat response till 2Khz after which a little dip to remove the harshness in sound and then a slow increase from 7Khz.

Would like an out of head experience if possible with that sound signature (maybe impossible I know).

So far, I've shortlisted 1More triple drivers and BGVP DMG looking at the Frequency Response and reviews.
How do they sound in comparison to TF10 will be highly appreciated so that I know what I'm getting into.
I did check the TF10s frequency responses, but the Target response curves have changed multiple times since then and so would've the equipment used to measure, I guess.

Thanks for reading.

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm probably not the best or most knowledgeable to make recommendations, but how about the RHA MA750?

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for your inputs guys, I've ordered 750i. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I have a few sub-£100 IEMs and they are my favourite out of the IEMs I own in that price range.
I hope you enjoy them. Let us know what you think of them. :)

BH

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 17
If it’s a V-shaped sound you’re looking for, with a sub-bass emphasis, definitely look into the iBasso IT01. That IEM has a slightly recessed mid compared to the sub-bass and treble boost. I recently picked up the FiiO FH1, which is more neutral with boosted bass and a tiny bit of lift in the treble for balance. It is not as coherent across the FR as the IT01 though since it’s a DD/BA hybrid, not a single dynamic driver like the iBasso, but the IT01 offers an MMCX cable interface for swapping and upgrades.

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 17
Thanks. I did already check iBasso, but needed something smaller in size... And more of a U shape than a V shape sound. So, from all that I read, I was inclined towards MA750 and ordered those.

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 17
MA750 is good. IT01 might suit you well too. Personally I prefer IT01 than MA750. More lively and richer.

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 17
Thanks guys.
I received the MA750 today.
In the little I heard... I'm not really that impressed... maybe pending burn-in?
Let me talk about the bad first and then the amazing...
I need more bass and lesser upper mids and lower treble... it sounds sharp to me.
For me, an ideal sound with them would be...
40Hz = +6dB
80Hz = +6dB
250Hz = +6dB
500Hz = +/-0... this is where the want the response at 0
2KHz = -3dB
4KHz = -5dB
8KHz = +/-0 … this is where the want the response at 0
16Khz = +6dB

The amazing...
Loved the fact that they are so responsive to eq.
Man, that soundstage... it's a completely different experience... they just disappear...
with TF10s and FLC8S, I can say that they are wide/narrow, distant/close, high/low... whatever...
with these, I don't know how to express, I no longer feel that I'm listening to earphones, it's like music is playing right in front of me.

So, now...
What is the amount of burn-in required?
With the burn-in, what kind of improvements do I expect?
iBasso is out... I can't get it here. I'll have to import at 40% increase in price and no support.
What about V-Moda Forza Metallo?

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #13 of 17
Thanks guys.
I received the MA750 today.
In the little I heard... I'm not really that impressed... maybe pending burn-in?
Let me talk about the bad first and then the amazing...
I need more bass and lesser upper mids and lower treble... it sounds sharp to me.
For me, an ideal sound with them would be...
40Hz = +6dB
80Hz = +6dB
250Hz = +6dB
500Hz = +/-0... this is where the want the response at 0
2KHz = -3dB
4KHz = -5dB
8KHz = +/-0 … this is where the want the response at 0
16Khz = +6dB

The amazing...
Loved the fact that they are so responsive to eq.
Man, that soundstage... it's a completely different experience... they just disappear...
with TF10s and FLC8S, I can say that they are wide/narrow, distant/close, high/low... whatever...
with these, I don't know how to express, I no longer feel that I'm listening to earphones, it's like music is playing right in front of me.

So, now...
What is the amount of burn-in required?
With the burn-in, what kind of improvements do I expect?
iBasso is out... I can't get it here. I'll have to import at 40% increase in price and no support.
What about V-Moda Forza Metallo?

My initial impression of them when I first got them was similar. Very trebley. However, I found that the included Comply foam tips done a good job at taming the treble and boosting the bass presence. I struggled to get a good seal with the silicones at first though.
After a period of time (maybe able 30+ hours of use?) I tried the silicone tips again and managed to get a seal. I thought that the treble had calmed down a bit and that it didn't seem as sharp as it did at first.

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 17
My initial impression of them when I first got them was similar. Very trebley. However, I found that the included Comply foam tips done a good job at taming the treble and boosting the bass presence. I struggled to get a good seal with the silicones at first though.
After a period of time (maybe able 30+ hours of use?) I tried the silicone tips again and managed to get a seal. I thought that the treble had calmed down a bit and that it didn't seem as sharp as it did at first.

Thanks.
I'm gonna leave the earphones running through the night... so far I probably have about 6 hours of run on them.
Say, if I still don't like them, what are my next options... better bass and low mids, lesser upper mids and more air at the upper end of treble?

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 17
I let the earphones play for about 50 Hours. The sound did change to a good extent.
Bass became a lot better, the sharpness reduced, the detail increased. Unfortunately though, the imaging became lesser of a highlight. The out of head experience disappeared.
Anyways, I now understood the reason that they are so well regarded.
However, in the end, I still felt the Bass lacking, especially the 30-70 range. I like a good amount of deep bass.
I also still found the treble a little sharp for my taste.
So, in the end, after about 5 days, I returned them and bought the BGVP DMG.
From what I can recollect without A-B-ing is that these are very similar in sound, expect the Bass, which is a lot higher in DMG.
I think that the instrument separation was better on the RHA.
To be honest, I now miss the 750 but unfortunately, I could afford only one and so, had to return the 750 for DMG.
Between the two, I think DMG wins by just a little for my kind of tuning.
Thanks for your help guys; though I didn't retain the 750, I definitely would've missed out if I hadn't listened to them. I'm really glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back