Need Stello DA220 replacement advice...
Mar 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
I need help locking down some options to fix my 'problem'.

I love the Stello, love... love. But its output is way too high when paired with the HeadAmp KGSS. I use my PC as a source and have to run the output at -20dB to get reasonable range on the DACT. Reasonable being steps 1-6 become usable, most material I play at step 4 (8 o'clock).

On a minimalist/ocd mind frame it bugs me that I have to introduce distortion and data loss to be able to effectively use my 'high-end' rig. So I need options for either effectively dropping the output to something usable in the analog domain or DAC options in the sub $1500 range with known low voltage outputs and preferably Stello like sound.

For reference if I use my Zune as a source, at maximum output... the DACT range is about perfect for what I would like. My previous rig was a HeadAmp Reference (GS-X) at unity gain that also paired well with the Stello's output. My understanding is that the KGSS will be at full output at 1V input so that seems to be a good starting place. Unfortunately even though the Stello is advertised as 1.2V, it clearly is closer to 4.8V.

Let me know if you have any suggestions/thoughts.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 5
You use foobar as player and volume control? It shouldnt affect sound quality at all AFAIK, atleast if you enable dither in output format, so I wouldnt worry about it. It doesnt remove anything, not even dynamics are affected so every silent part is still there. I use it in -11db personally.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Very true about Foobar and dithering.

The attenuator thing had crossed my mind. But I think it would need a custom made one to be safe since the resistor values used tie into the input impedance so a 1 size fits all seems impossible. I had considered sending my amp back to HeadAmp to have it modded for -20dB as described below but then I'm really stuck if I run across some very low source material.

Here's the source for attenuators; Modified Attenuator Tapers

Actually more to the point, I'm afraid the RCA version of the Rothwell wouldn't allow my interconnect to fit. Harrison and Goldenjacks options are interesting though. Lots of good feedback for the Goldenjacks, think I'll throw him an email to see about a custom one.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Mini update...

I decided after some email exchanges to go with Goldenjacks afterall. Iain is a very patient knowledgable gent. Hopefully they arrive before I leave on vacation
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back