Need stand alone DAC/ADC
Jul 12, 2008 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

the_eleven

Head-Fier
Can anyone point me towards a stand alone DAC, that offers superior sound for a reasonable price?

Also, I am looking to start converting some of my vinyl into a digital format. Any info on an analog to digital device would be welcome as well.

Thanks!

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 11
Zero, Keces, Zhaolu and Beresford are names you often see here. Are there some better DAC's out there for around 200$'s? Some that don't introduce any noise
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 11
The good thing is that there are many options to choose from, the bad thing is which one to choose?
evil_smiley.gif

Currently I have two DACs a Non-Oversampling Lite DAC-AH w/ the passive mod and an Oritek V4.1. Neither would be considered high end, maybe mid-fi for the Oritek V4.1.

The sound out of both is very organic and vinyl like, with the the Oritek V4.1 having more extension and detail. However IMO the simplicity and low cost of the Lite Dac-Ah may pull you in. I bought my Lite Dac-Ah used for about $125 and if you put about $25 dollars for a pair of resistors and a pair of caps the sound improves significantly.

Good luck.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 11
I find the Electrocompaniet ECD1 to be a really stunning DAC.
Its price tag of $2200 is quite reasonable as well, considering that the same DAC power the $6-7000 Electrocompaniet EMC1...

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 11
But it would be quite ridiculous to have a 2200$ dollar dac to a 300$ headphone, imo. Anyway, a good 200$ DAC with no noise? Anyone?

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it would be quite ridiculous to have a 2200$ dollar dac to a 300$ headphone, imo. Anyway, a good 200$ DAC with no noise? Anyone?

Sure!
But no place did I see the rest of his/her gear mentioned. So $300 is just taken right out of the blue. It may be paired up with $3000 headphones for all we know...
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure!
But no place did I see the rest of his/her gear mentioned. So $300 is just taken right out of the blue. It may be paired up with $3000 headphones for all we know...
wink.gif

I wish!

Just diving in to lake headphone (grips his wallet). UE TF10, SR-80.

Audio Research+VTL tube gear for the home system, so analog is covered.

$300 should get something worth that will work well.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish!

Just diving in to lake headphone (grips his wallet). UE TF10, SR-80.

Audio Research+VTL tube gear for the home system, so analog is covered.

$300 should get something worth that will work well.

Ok, then I back out. Since you now have posted some kind of budget

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by third_eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apogee Duet if you have a Mac

Thanks for the tip.

After looking into the Duet, it is the perfect choice, as it will also allow me to rip my vinyl onto my Mac HD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back