Need SS amp with lots-O-power
Dec 2, 2005 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jimmyjames8

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for direction on a solid state headphone amp with lots of power. I am convinced that is why my Woo 3 sounds so good beside being tube powered, it has lots of power reserves. My current cans are listed in my signature line but Senn HD650's are getting the most use these days with rock, metal, 50's jazz & blues.

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 14
Try the Lehmannaudio Black Cube Linear (read my review which you can find in the sticky section). If that's too big or too expensive, you may want to consider the XIN Supermacro v6 with the gain switch set to high (no kidding, XIN's amps can even drive the K1000's).

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
Looking for direction on a solid state headphone amp with lots of power. I am convinced that is why my Woo 3 sounds so good beside being tube powered, it has lots of power reserves. My current cans are listed in my signature line but Senn HD650's are getting the most use these days with rock, metal, 50's jazz & blues.

Power helps much.

Keep in mind it depends on the headphone sensitivity.

What is the WOO's (rated at what impedance)?

The Lehman BC linear, recommended above, is a great SS choice but you may find that any SS amp has a lean tone compared to a tube amp. That's why I got rid of 3 SS amps in the last 6 months. Never found a SS with enough tone body, including home set ups from Pass Labs.

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 14
Ever think of hybrids? My Melos really pumps out the juice, but keeps that tubey warmth up top. The funny thing is threading the signal from the Melos to my Marantz 2226 and using the Marantz headphone out - it's like it strips the signal of the tube warmth and you are left with a big old solid state tone, which is still not transistory. Best of both worlds!

Dec 2, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 14
Hi, the M^3 amplifier has loads of power reserves too
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Hi, the M^3 amplifier has loads of power reserves too
smily_headphones1.gif

That it does. It also has the flexibility of opamp rolling to change the sound of the amp.

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 14
The Lehman and an M^3 were on my short list. Grooving on the tube sound. The Woo 3 is 2 watts output. Not sure at what impedance. Can only turn up my Senn 650's less than half way. Woo has an impedance and power chart on their web page. Hybrid could be interesting. May be hooked on toobs.

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
Can only turn up my Senn 650's less than half way.

Given the Woo3 gain of 3x and your half way mark, if you have a 2v source you are listening at roughly 5mW
blink.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Ever think of hybrids? My Melos really pumps out the juice, but keeps that tubey warmth up top. The funny thing is threading the signal from the Melos to my Marantz 2226 and using the Marantz headphone out - it's like it strips the signal of the tube warmth and you are left with a big old solid state tone, which is still not transistory. Best of both worlds!

Hear! Hear!

pun intended

No SS can equal the tone of a tube and no tube can equal the transient dynamics and resolution detail (particularly in bass) of a SS.

Can't beat a hybrid.

I love a tube preamp with a SS amp - better than all tube or all SS to me - best of both. Same with a headphone amp that has a three tube input and SS out like mine. Love the sound of my headphone system!

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 14
drarthurwells said:
pun intended

No SS can equal the tone of a tube and no tube can equal the transient dynamics and resolution detail (particularly in bass) of a SS.

I have never heard a solid state amp completely equal the tonality of a good tube amp ..... but I strongly disagree that tubes cant equal the dynamics and resolution of detail of a SS amp.

You havent heard the right tube amp.
basshead.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 14
nowadays you can find a 1st generation Corda Prehead for ~$500. If you can get one, you'll have all the power you'll ever need and a refined sound (+ a serious preamp)

Dec 3, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I have never heard a solid state amp completely equal the tonality of a good tube amp ..... but I strongly disagree that tubes cant equal the dynamics and resolution of detail of a SS amp.

You havent heard the right tube amp.
basshead.gif

I am skeptical that he has heard any tube amp besides the hybrid he has and the chinese tube amp he used to own. Yet he seems to think he is an expert on the subject.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 14
Whoops .... never answered the question.
redface.gif

I like the dynahi/ dynalo designs. The Headamp GS-1 is an excellent amp. I am intrigued by the SFT dynahi ..... but I have never heard the basic single ended version. The balanced version is extremely good; especially with senn 650's. The SFT totally transforms that headphone.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back