Need specific IEM headphone recommendation
May 2, 2012 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Blueonblue

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here and I'm looking for a recommendation on in ear headphones.

I'm looking to spend up to about $400 but am willing to go a bit over if something is very highly recommended but of course less is better.

Im after a set that will be suitable for long listening sessions. I listen to a broad range of music genres; all sorts of electro, trance, prog psy, psy trance, rock, metal, indie rock, hip hop, rap, ambient music, instrumental and even some pop. I also produce my own brand of electro and would be using them in tandem with my Acoustic Enegry (AE22) monitors.

I'd like a fairly balanced pair that will provide crystal clear sound with perhaps a little emphasis on the bass. A friend recommended Westone 3's but after reading a few reviews I'm concerned that the bass may be a bit overpowering.

Also outside sound does not need to be completely filtered out but some level of isolation is important (hence the IE) and I would prefer a pair that is not over ear.

The last pair I had were sennheiser cx300's which were perfect in pretty much area except for sound quality.

I hope I've given enough info here! I'm fairly new to this stuff so let me know if I theres another info I should include!

May 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 3
Not all "good" headphones have to be expensive.  I would first try a pair of Brainwavz M2 IEM.  They range anywhere from $60 to $80.  Add in a pair of Comply T-400 foam tips for $15.  They remain one of my favorite IEM headphones in any price below $400.  They have a lot going for them.

1.)  They have a pretty flat response for an IEM below $100
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

2.)  They twist apart so you can easily clean the driver filters

3.)  They are built really well including strain relief at both the jack and ear piece ends

If you plan on exercising with them pick up a cable clip as the cable can be slightly microphonic if not bound.  With the cable bound the microphonics go away.

They are my suggestion.  They are not going to be the bass monsters that your CX300 seem to be.  They will be more neutral sounding with a pleasant downward tilt toward the treble.  If you must have a more "expensive" headphone the Etymotic ER4PT measures quite well, although I have not personally tested it.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticER4PT.pdf

Here are the CX300 Charts:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1893

May 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Fantastic recommendation! I picked up a pair of Brainwavz M2's from another user on the forum for $42 and they sound amazing. They're not EXACTLY what im looking for but for quality vs price I am very impressed. I think I will upgrade in the future and really splash out but these are great for now and definitely outclass the CX300's.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back