Need speakers/sub for college parties
Oct 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:
This. Plus they are twice the wattage of the Polk speakers and more portable. Make sure you test them out before you by them.

I don't know if you can compare their wattage characteristics. The JBL's are listed as 75 watts continuous/300 watts peak.  Polk lists theirs  as 20-150 watt per channel recommended amplification. Hard to say whether or not the latter is peak or continuous. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:
Alright, I read through all the comments. I definitely want to upgrade my speakers first. As much as I love bass, I can't stand the terrible speakers that I'm stuck using with my receiver. 
I've found on craigslist a pair of used [size=medium]JBL L830 Bookshelf speakers for $175. Even includes an EC25 center speaker. Good condition.[/size]
[size=medium]Would a pair of the Polk Monitor 50 tower speakers or the JBL L830s be a better buy?[/size]
[size=medium]Also, I will most likely purchase a good subwoofer after the funds allow it.[/size]

I recommended the Polk Audio because of they are decent for the low price, not sure if Polk Audio wins a lot of (or any) awards.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #19 of 31
I don't know if you can compare their wattage characteristics. The JBL's are listed as 75 watts continuous/300 watts peak.  Polk lists theirs  as 20-150 watt per channel recommended amplification. Hard to say whether or not the latter is peak or continuous. 

Hmm... I checked amazon and they had the peak wattage of the Polk listed as 150 watts. I wouldn't want to go above that.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #21 of 31
Alright I've narrowed it down to:

Polk Monitor 50's: $160 (pair)

Sony SSF-6000: $193 (pair)

Sony SSF-7000: $210 (pair)

From what I understand the sony's will have better/louder bass. However, it seems Sony has a rather bad rep with their lower price speakers, despite the very positive reviews of these speakers.

I'm more wanting to compare the SSF-7000 vs the Monitor 50's, as the Monitor 50's may be a better deal than the SSF-6000's considering the price if I plan on adding a sub soon.

Opinions?

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #22 of 31
The Sonys are not considered to be very good sounding speakers. Polk has a much better reputation. As for the reviews, the Sonys seem to be popular partially because they are being reviewed by people who have not owned better speakers. For the price of the Sony SSF-7000, you might as well step up to the Polk Monitor60s. Definitely considered an upgrade over the Monitor50s. The extra driver will give it some better bass response (although you will still probably want a sub). Or get the Monitor50s and get a sub that much sooner. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:
The Sonys are not considered to be very good sounding speakers. Polk has a much better reputation. As for the reviews, the Sonys seem to be popular partially because they are being reviewed by people who have not owned better speakers. For the price of the Sony SSF-7000, you might as well step up to the Polk Monitor60s. Definitely considered an upgrade over the Monitor50s. The extra driver will give it some better bass response (although you will still probably want a sub). Or get the Monitor50s and get a sub that much sooner. 

The Polks are what i'm leaning towards. $160 for the 50s, vs $260 for the 60s makes a $60 price different that would probably go immediately for a sub. So would Monitor 50's with a decent sub be better for my parties or the Monitor 60's and wait a bit for a sub? 

Thanks again for the help,

-Ben

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #24 of 31
The Polk Monitor50s are not much more than PolkMonitor40 bookshelves with built in stands (the drivers and tweeters are the same). The Monitor60s have three drivers instead of two. They'll create a little bit better full range sound, which an help for parties when you have a big room. There's a giant Polk owners thread over at AVS where you can get lots of insight into which would better fit your needs if you want to think about it more, although I'm fairly sure they would encourage you to get the 60s if you can. They are undoubtedly a better speaker. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:
The Polk Monitor50s are not much more than PolkMonitor40 bookshelves with built in stands (the drivers and tweeters are the same). The Monitor60s have three drivers instead of two. They'll create a little bit better full range sound, which an help for parties when you have a big room. There's a giant Polk owners thread over at AVS where you can get lots of insight into which would better fit your needs if you want to think about it more, although I'm fairly sure they would encourage you to get the 60s if you can. They are undoubtedly a better speaker. 

Yeah I understand. I actually made a mistake though. The pair of 50's would be $180 while the 60's would be $260. Really at $260 I wouldn't be able to afford a sub, so the 50's with a cheap ($100-150) sub or the 60's with no sub @ $260?

Will post in AVSforums if you think they could give me better advise. 

Thanks,

-Ben

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #26 of 31
You are going to want a sub either way if you listen to bass heavy music. However, another cheap sub doesn't seem to solve the problem that you already burned one out. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #30 of 31
Yeah I understand. I actually made a mistake though. The pair of 50's would be $180 while the 60's would be $260. Really at $260 I wouldn't be able to afford a sub, so the 50's with a cheap ($100-150) sub or the 60's with no sub @ $260?

Will post in AVSforums if you think they could give me better advise. 

Thanks,

-Ben

I'd get the 60s and wait on the sub. Check out the loudness of the speakers to make sure they get as loud as you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back