Need source suggestions > Woo Audio 6 > HD650
Apr 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

moee79

Head-Fier
Greetings fellow head-fiers,

I have officially caught the Head-Fi bug. Just purchased HD650, and hopefully will pickup an Woo Audio 6, next week, to drive it. So I'm thinking of a source upgrade for my home/transportable setup. I have read a quite a few threads in the source forum, but I am clueless.

I have a desktop and a laptop with all sorts of mp3s, FLAC, and OGG music files. If I were to spend around $200 CAN/US, what would be your suggestion? I'll be using it at home 90% of the time.

I was thinking of getting the iBasso D4 to fill in the missing link as a DAC, but would that fit in with my setup? And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it could be used as a DAC/pre-amp.

?? > iBasso D4?? > Woo Audio 6 > HD650

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 3
Hope you are enjoying my old HD650.
biggrin.gif

As for a DAC, D4 is a decent starter choice, as well as Pico DAC/Amp or DAC only. Both share the same Wolfson DAC chip I believe, and it is probably best you can do at that price range. I formerly had a Pico DAC for my WA6 rig and it sounded great with HD650.

You could also look at some budget choices from Hotaudio as well. They're Canadian and would ship fast to you, and it's very hard to beat it for its price.

May 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Loving the HD650s. I can tell they need much more to drive them, but they do sound really smooth.

HotAudio has some really cool stuff. I might get the EXTASY DAC model if I don't find a D4 soon. I've always wanted the Pico, but I don't think I'm ready to spend another 600~700 :O ... just yet ha ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back