Need source for RS-1's and Emmeline HR2
Nov 28, 2003 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for recommendations. I want a player that is warm and musical ... not technical or cold. I'm not really an audiophile so I'm not sure exactly how to describe this. The old Sony player I have now sounds edgy and even a little grainy.

SACD would be a plus, but I want a player that is excellent at both.

Nov 28, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 13
What kind of budget are you looking at?

If your looking for something around $500 I recently heard the new Cambridge Audio Azur 540C and 640C and highly recommend you take a listen to the 640C.

Nov 28, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 13
Hi johnnylexus,
If your budget is between $1100-$1400, a great synergistic match with the HR-2 is the Sony C555ES Hot Rod as modified by SACDmods.com. It's the best Redbook CDP I've owned so far, SACD is just a nice bonus. Here is an in-depth review of this player written with it attached to the HR-2: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=52002

Good luck!

Mark

Nov 28, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 13
Dude!

You and I have some equipment in common! I can make some recommendations and my reasons behind each one.

So, you want warm and musicial but you want some price options? New Audio Design C 541i HDCD/CD player. You can pick one up used for about $325 USD. It is a warm, full bodied, tonally balanced, and very musicial player. It is also one of the top budget CDPs on the market in my humble opinion. With the Grado RS-1s and Emmeline HR-2, the NAD C 541i HDCD/CD player will demonstrate very good synergy. You'll hear it. It will complement the Grado RS-1's signature sonics: warmth, smoothness, full bodied sound that has plenty of bass slam and well extended, airy, trebles along with a luscious, intimate, midrange. All you'll need is a pair of DiMarzio M-PATH ICs for about $90 USD and you'll have many happy hours listening to your system. I guarantee it.

NAD recently released the C 542 HDCD/CD player for about $600 USD. What's the difference? In one word, the reviews seem to indicate refinement. It takes upon the sterling sound of its predecessor and refines it. Bass is better extended, fleshed out, and quicker / tighter. Midrange is about the same: luscious. Treble region is better articulated and extended with less treble bite.

If you want to get into high resolution, then I'd recommend picking up a refurbished Denon DVD 2900 "universal" player. It's not like the NAD house sound. It's much more detailed, neutral, and transparant. A terrfic number of reviews are available online. Go to http://www.ecoustics.com

GO TO HTTP://WWW.ECOUSTICS.COM!

It's a clearing house of audio / video hardware and accessories. It's a terrific one stop destination on the Internet to find as much published professional reviews and opinions from owners about various audio and video hardware along with accessories (including headphones).

Let us know what you decide! We'll help you spend your money!
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 13
I completly disagree with Wellu-Wu. I owned the nad541 for abotu a month used with the HR2 and my cd3000. I thought the player was bright, non-musical, and just plain sucked (with the current equipment). I tried a few sets of "bright" cans, particularly the rs1, w1000s, and my cd3000s, and that on-top of the nad's brightness will make the sound un-bearable (in my opinion). I recommend the 555es like mark says, or i'll reitterate my advice on the cdp tom hankins is selling right now (the shangling t100)

Tubes might warm the sound up real nice, would sound great with the emmeline i feel.

Anyways, i can't express how much i disliked the nad/hr2 combo... i hope you avoid that one. (sorry welly)

Nov 28, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 13
I second the Cambridge Audio suggestion. I haven't heard the new line but I the D500 was a great value. Warm and musical are probably the most often quoted descriptions of Cambridge Audio players.

For a bit more, The Musical Hall CD-25.

Nov 29, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 13
If you can still find a Meridian 507 or 588 that would be a good match with those headphones and amp. The 507 is about $1500 up to $2000, the 588 may be up to $4000. Any player by meridian would probably suit you.

Personally I have found every single digital setup that I've listened to very grainy and hashy compared to vinyl, but it's probably not an option for you since I'm guessing you have mostly CDs, as I do.

The new GO7 and GO8 by meridian look tasty too.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 29, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 13
MJG:

That's cool too dude!

Johnnylexus:

Do you have any opportunities to audition any players at a local Hi-Fi dealer? In retrospect, the NAD C 541i / HeadRoom Cosmic (Reference Module) / DiMarzio M-PATH ICs combination was highly artificial sounding: lots of glossy highs, thick 'n syrupy midrange, and overpowering bass. However, that combination did provide some of the happiest moments in my life for a short period.

Also, be careful to set your priorities clearly and know what you are asking for by way of auditioning some players. It may turn out that your desire for a warm and musical player may turn out to be a disaster.

Get a universal player to cover all three major bases: Redbook CD, DVD-Audio, and SACD. Then re-examine your priorities after having heard what each offers.

Nov 29, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 13
Someone...ahem...me...has a Conrad-johnson DV2b tubed cd player for sale in the gear forum. It is very musical and pretty warm. My system is all tubes right now, so I went with a cary 306/200 to have a little more detail and a more forward sound. But...you should let us know what you want to spend. It makes no sense to recommend a 2 grand player if you want to spend 200, and the opposite is also true..

Nov 29, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for all the suggestions...

I went out auditioning today and heard the Denon DVD2900, a couple of Arcam's (CD 82, 93) and the Adcom GCD-750.

I liked the Arcam but it seemed like too much money and, to me, the Adcom sounded better than the Denon.

I guess my budget could go as high as $2K but it makes me nervous to spend that much...

Nov 29, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 13
Then, spend $450 USD less and get yourself a Denon DVD 5900 for approximately $1550 USD. Go to http://www.avsforum.com, DVD players forum, and look for the two Denon DVD 5900 threads. Grab a cup of coffee too...

That's what I've decided to save up for to get myself as a graduation gift next year. It will be mine!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 13
I would second the recommendation for the Meridian 507. It is a great player. I have also heard the modded Sony that Mark spoke of. You can't go wrong with that one either.

Nov 29, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 13
Well I picked up the Adcom GCD-750 today. I'm breaking it in and it sounds terrific to me! I think there's only one other guy here with one of these, but to my ears it is ringing and drawing me into some incredible musicality.

By the way, this Emmeline sounds pretty sweet with it too.

Thanks all for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back