Need SoundCard advice under these circumstances
Aug 31, 2004 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Moskau

New Head-Fier
This isn't directly Headphone related, but you guys seem to be the most knowledgable about the newer Sound Cards and options (AVS still act like Revo's are the end-all in audio).

Anyways, my question relates to using a Stereo Gainclone with a PC. I'd like to use the old Foobar option.

At the moment I don't have an external DAC, I plan to build one down the road. And I don't have a pre-amp per say, the Gainclone will use an attenuator.

However, in the future I will probably be adding on speakers, using Stereo for music and then switching to something like 5.1-7.1 for movies when friends are over.

This will certainly seem like a stupid question, I've been looking at the 1212m, can it even output 5.1-7.1 without a pre amp?

I proably won't be recording any music, but if it's there then it's something that may intrigue me.

Would the best option be to just use something like a 1212 for music, and use an Audigy 2 for games and movies since I am a die hard gamer?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 5
The 1212M looks to me to be stereo only, and from what other people have said, really good stereo at that
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Does anyone know what the deal with the rumored PCI|X Soundstorm cards is?

Anyways I will probably try the Chaintech first, at least until $200 doesn't kill me after putting $1,200 into the Speakers.

I keep hearing about people using the Benchmark with a 1212m. If the 1212m is top of the line as far as PC ADC and DAC go, then how good is it REALLY if people feel the need to use the Benchmark?

How would the Audigy 2 be for Movies? Since basically Movies and Games are the same type of sounds overshadowed by ridicolously excessive bass.

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 5
If you want quality multi-channel sounds, I'd go with Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 (around $130ish) as the 1st choice... then go down to M-Audio Revolution 5.1 (~$70).

EDIT: Do keep in mind that neither 0404 nor 1212m does multi-channel. They are strictly stereo (2-channel) only! Excellent at it though, mind you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by proxops-pete
If you want quality multi-channel sounds, I'd go with Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 (around $130ish) as the 1st choice... then go down to M-Audio Revolution 5.1 (~$70).

EDIT: Do keep in mind that neither 0404 nor 1212m does multi-channel. They are strictly stereo (2-channel) only! Excellent at it though, mind you.
smily_headphones1.gif

I read into them more after I posted. I will most likely get the 1212m for Stereo.

Thanks for the recommendations on Multi Channel, I did know about those cards, especially the AudioTrak which I head seen hyped from German reviewers a while ago. I'm trying to weigh if movies or games are more important to me for multi channel. I'd guess games which would be Audigy 2. How good is an Audigy 2 for movies? I know they suck for music, are great for games, and movies falls in between.

I'm assuming however that since the Audigy 2's superior performance in games is a direct result of their propietery technologies, movies would perform closer to music which is crap.

Maybe I'll just wait and hear what nVidia does with the Soundstorm cards. *Continues to chase tail*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back