Need soundcard advice please!
Jun 26, 2013 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NoEars

Head-Fier
So I'm looking into maybe getting a new soundcard to push my DT770 pro's. Here's my rub though. I am currently running them through an external soundcard. I'm using is the Guitar session I/O. Not using the software or anything, just the hardware to drive my headphones. But it is more for guitar/vocal stuff... so I dunno if using it in this fashion is exactly the best idea. lol

Info on this device: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/

Soundcard wise I'm in the $50-75 area. What do you guys think? Worth me doing an internal soundcard, or just live with what I got? Opinions would be truly appreciated!

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
So I'm looking into maybe getting a new soundcard to push my DT770 pro's. Here's my rub though. I am currently running them through an external soundcard. I'm using is the Guitar session I/O. Not using the software or anything, just the hardware to drive my headphones. But it is more for guitar/vocal stuff... so I dunno if using it in this fashion is exactly the best idea. lol

Info on this device: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/

Soundcard wise I'm in the $50-75 area. What do you guys think? Worth me doing an internal soundcard, or just live with what I got? Opinions would be truly appreciated!

Your link doesn't go to a specific device, sorry. 

I feel the advantages of an external sound card are significant, especially if you are on a PC.  There's very little fight getting them working, and the performance is almost always better than internals, though they are also more expensive. The Mac built-in sound cards are quite good, and the differences are less apparent.  

If you are recording, and you want to use your device for both purposes, you might want to pay up just a little more and get something like the Motu Microbook II, which will get you both high quality recording and playback.  For less, you can get a PreSonus AudioBox USB, which is quite nice, though slightly less performance.  For really high end on a budget, consider the Focusrite Forte.   For playback only, there are external USB DACs that are a bit cheaper, like the FiiO E10 which combines a USB DAC and respectable headphone amp, and is at the top of your stated budget. 

There are lots of others, Google at will.

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 10
Also, considering your suggestions. I AM open to an external soundcard. May up my budget as well. What would you recommend as a good bang for buck device? I'm doing some searching around, but the options seem. Well, endless. lol

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Also, considering your suggestions. I AM open to an external soundcard. May up my budget as well. What would you recommend as a good bang for buck device? I'm doing some searching around, but the options seem. Well, endless. lol

What kind of recording are you doing?  Typical setup?

The Guitar Rig has no published specs...kind of suspect.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, I was never able to find much other than it's [size=11.818181991577148px]24-bit/192. Right now I don't do any recording, but I plan too eventually. Nothing more than vocal and piano stuff though. Honestly I've been using it to push my headset since my pc doesn't really put out enough. lol[/size]

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 10
Pretty much. I have my volume at 70-80% most of the time to make it sound good. Not loud... just clear. And I get too much static background noise. So I've been devouring the forums and have decided to up my budget. I'm looking at, surprise surprise either the creative creative x-fi hd titanium or the Xonar Essense stx.

I imagine either way I go i'll be happy. It's more of a which one can I find cheaper type of thing. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back