Need sound card help
Oct 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Oreenzy

New Head-Fier
So I am a long time viewer, and first time poster on the site. This is going to be my first step into higher end audio. 

I game a lot,  but listen to music pretty frequently also, and watch some occasional movies/tv. Ad700's are going to be my headphones of choice. 

My problem is that i'm not sure what soundcard I want. I want to get optimal performance out of the ad700's for gaming, but I also don't want to lose out on the music/video aspect either.

For the longest time i was convinced I wanted a xonar, because of their more balanced features, and struggled between picking the DG or DX. Then when i started looking around on here i saw more people leaning towards a X-fi card. My only concern about X-fi cards is that I mostly see the ad700's associated with dolby headphone, and im not sure what to make of CMSS due to my lack of knowledge between the difference of the 2 technologies.

So what do you guys think? go with a xonar? if so what card? or a Creative/auzentech? Now that I am going to be buying this week, I am frantically trying to figure this out.

All help is much appreciated :D.

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't have experience with Dolby Headphone in games, so I can't say if it's any better or worse than CMSS-3D Headphone set up properly (Windows speaker settings to 7.1, X-Fi control panel to Headphones so you're not getting the wrong CMSS-3D).

But it's important for me to have a proper X-Fi card because I still play a lot of older games that use EAX 3 through 5, and those that use DirectSound3D (needs ALchemy under Vista/Win7) or OpenAL also allow CMSS-3D Headphone to not bother with simulating a speaker system. Instead, it applies the binaural effects to every sound source in the virtual sound space, since those sounds have actual 3D spatial coordinates instead of being pre-mixed to a speaker position.

I still bring up the Xonar DG as a value option, mostly because it has a lot of bang for the buck and a lot of the newer games don't use EAX, but for those willing to pay more, I'm more likely to recommend an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude or Forte, or the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD (if analog surround is unnecessary).

As for the big Mad Lust Envy thread, that stems from the fact that MLE is a console gamer, and PC sound cards aren't much use to him as a result. Since you can't get external DAC/DSPs with CMSS-3D Headphone like you can with Dolby Headphone...you get the idea.

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Oreenzy is actually my brother and we are both having similar problems. I however need something good for gaming with my M50's on my laptop, what would you suggest? I could go for either an express card or usb. I mainly want it for gaming, as I think I might get a IBasso or PD Xm5 for music down the road.
Thanks for any help.

Ohh and I play mostly newer games, all of my old stuff is on my desktop.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 4
ExpressCard or USB only? That complicates things a bit.

Unfortunately, the only real X-Fi cards with the EMU20k1 or EMU20k2 DSPs are all PCI and PCI-Express, respectively. The rest do it in software, including the X-Fi Go! Pro that claims to have EAX 5 support somehow. (I have my doubts about that one having good sound quality...but I can't really vouch for or against something I haven't used, can I?)

The Xonar U3 might be a promising little product, though I've never used one of those either. Price is only $40 on Amazon.

Since EAX is most likely a moot point in the games you play (as if using a notebook didn't make it enough of a moot point), this boils down to a matter of sound quality and the X-Fi Go! Pro's CMSS-3D Headphone implementation (which probably isn't as good as the true X-Fi cards) vs. the Xonar U3's Dolby Headphone implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back