Need something to drive my Ultimate Ears super.fi 5's
Mar 17, 2009 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Doggonit

New Head-Fier
For the record, I've only gotten my super.fi 5's a few days ago, but I am very happy with what they're capable of. I tested (and compared them to other earphones) at the store I ultimately bought them at using the store's Cowon S9, which had a lovely sound.

My current primary DAP is a Samsung Q1, and it certainly doesn't have quite the same quality when using these earphones. They aren't bad with it, but the Q1 is underpowered and the bass is lacking when using the super.fi 5's. The Q1 was perfect for my past earphones (Sony EX85's), but no more.

I tested the earphones with my old iRiver S10, which can still produce a lovely, rich sound and powers the super.fi's perfectly, bringing out the tight, punchy bass I heard with the S9 and the full sound stage, etc.

However, the S10 only has a 2GB capacity and the battery life is abysmal, especially after two full years of heavy use.

You might say that all I really need is a headphone amp, but I do recall that Martin (dftk) stated in his review of the FiiO E3 that it made the super.fi 5's hiss, which I don't want.

Of course there are other amps out there, which may be better, but the more expensive they are, the more I would just like to buy a DAP that will work perfectly with the super.fi 5's without needing extra attachments like amps and impedance adapters and who knows what other magic people might mention.

So, I would love to hear some recommendations on DAP's that fit the following requirements:

-Will adequately power the super.fi 5's
-Must have a capacity of at least 8GB (16GB preferred)
-Has a decent battery life (more than 12 hours, real life)
-Doesn't cost an arm and a leg (that's right, I'm looking at you, Cowon S9, with your idiotic touch interface)
-And possibly something that will work in UMS/MSC mode (i.e.: like a thumb-drive, not requiring drivers to be installed)

I've been reading the ABI reviews, and whilst the iRiver SPINN sure looks nice, the sound quality review throws me off a bit, and that isn't what I want to hear about a device that costs more than most.

I loved the sound of the Sony S639F I had, but I don't know if it could power the super.fi 5's. Anybody hazard a guess or have experiences with the S639/super.fi 5 combo?

P.S.: Do any of you recommend that I perhaps return the super.fi 5's and get the Phonak Audeo PFE's instead when I can (which won't be any time soon)? Martin said that the super.fi 5's were horrendous current hogs and too low on impedance (they're what, 16 omh?), but I keep hoping that I can make them work with something, for I did hear how lovely they were with the Cowon S9 and the iRiver S10 (perhaps more so with the latter).

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm looking for a amp with TF 10 Pro, 32ohm.
As for DAP if you want UMS you want one that allows you to browse by directory so you don't even need itunes/wmp or sync. Just copy and paste.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

I'm looking for a amp with TF 10 Pro, 32ohm.

I'm sorry, I truly didn't understand that at all. Could I be so rude as to ask you to clarify/expand that previous statement?

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 13
I have an sf5p and it seems to work OK with a Sony S-738. S-638 is equivalent from what I hear. I don't particularly like the sound of the sf5p anymore, and I haven't used it with anything other than my laptop+xmod and the S-738 so I don't know whether I just don't have the right source to take full advantage them or what, but the S-738 produced similar sound to my laptop so I think it's good enough if you like sf5p. Go to a Sonystyle store and give it a try, I love the little player, I use it all the time with my Grado SR-80. I use the EQ when I use my sf5p with it to make it sound brighter and tone down the bass.

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Honestly, I say buy an iPod Video. (5th or 5.5 gen) Best iPod ever made ^_^

Yes, that's a great suggestion, because that will certainly hiss like crazy all the time and is not UMS/MSC capable! And best of all, it's so cheap, right?

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doggonit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that's a great suggestion, because that will certainly hiss like crazy all the time and is not UMS/MSC capable! And best of all, it's so cheap, right?

You can rockbox the iPod. I rockboxed my 4Gs and once I get the 5G I have working, I'm going to try rockbox on it. It still starts up iTunes when you plug it in, but you can also see all the files on the device through Windows Explorer just like a USB drive, and you can drag and drop stuff to it. As for hissing, I think I used it with at work a while back but I can't recall 100% right now whether that was with KSC-75 or sf5p.

Also, I haven't tried it personally but Sansa Clip is supposedly has very good clean sound.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I say buy an iPod Video. (5th or 5.5 gen) Best iPod ever made ^_^

Thats what I did 5.5 with the sf5p and maybe i'm fortunate but at the level I
listen to I detect no hiss except one song that was old and had tape hiss in it.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 13
It's not MSC, but I use my Super.fi's with my Zune and the quality is great. I also have a rockboxed Sansa E250 and it's got expandable memory capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back