"Need Something in the Middle" Headphone Dilemma
Dec 23, 2006 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

drkphoenix

New Head-Fier
Okay I have an iPod and use a case. I was using the eVo3's until the belt clip broke. Now I am using the Diablo case but either way I run into the problem of the surrounding stuff around the jacks on good headphones being too thick. If theyre too thick the ipod pauses at the darndest times! I have grado sr60's but I made some somewhat permanent "alterations" to it to try to get the plug thingy to fit. And now they are even less reliable to say the least. [yes i know... STUPID IDEA!!! there i said it so YOU DONT HAVE TO!!!] So I've gone back to my MDR-300's until i can find a good Grado Alternative. okay Ive tried the HD280's and they dont have enough bass and I tried the e4's and in-ear is not my thing and now my new HD-212's sound murky. I guess I want bass but the 212's have me skeptical about ALL bass-heavy stuff.

HERES WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR:
A set of durable, not too conspicuous, under $150 ($200 absolute max!), NO ANC OR IN-EAR, They must have great bass but not sound murky in any range; I need clarity in all ranges. I dont need punch so much being bass heavy as much as having a punch all around with a slight emphasis on bass. Super- and circum-aural are both acceptable. whatever is surrounding that plug will need to fit through a 1/4" hole a couple mm deep; I love my grados and am looking for something along those lines. Im going to go to HiFi Sound in Mpls to try some of these out but can you tell me anything about these and if you know of any good alternatives that I should find to try out.

Dec 23, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Here's that list of headphones im considering (in parenthases are headphones that I really want but run into the old width problem)

I'll see how many theyll let me try out but still any input...

AKG K-101
AKG K26 P
AKG K 81 DJ
AKG K 181 DJ
(Alessandro MS1)
(Grado SR60)
(Grado SR80)
(Grado SR125)
(Grado SR225)
Sennheiser EH 250
Sennheiser HD 25-SP
Sony MDR-V500
Sony MDR-V700
Technics RP-F550
Technics RP-DH1200

Dec 23, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 3
You could just get whatever headphone fits your fancy and then build a very short extension cable with a female jack on one end and a neutrik male minijack (very small) on the other end to use to plug into your ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back