Need some tips on shipping overseas.
Jun 26, 2005 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

KenW

Headphoneus Supremus
I've done it a time or two but I still need some help on the best way to handle international shipping.

I'd like to send a package to Australia and insure it using USPS Global Express. Yet, if I insure for full value and declare full value, won't the recipient be hit with import taxes/duties?

What's the best way to get the gear to him/her, insure it for our protection and minimize the import taxation/duties? FWIW, I won't lie and call it a "gift" so we can forget that option.

I'm thinking the best bet for all concerned is to ship fully insured and declare full value. Surely the taxes/duties can't be that much on a deal of less than $200 can it??

Hope someone with experience can help a fellow out.

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 13
The taxes and duties can be that big of a deal. Some countries will charge up to 33% of a tariff on customs - for a 200 dollar purchase, that's already 66 bucks, a nice chunk of change to say the least. Couple that with the time a shipment may get stuck in customs and eventually lost, that's a tough bet.

My advise and what has worked for me is to keep it simple. Yes i do declare gift and the value is much under than what its worth. I just ship my stuff global priority, no tracking, no insurance, and every one of my shipments has gotten across the seas perfectly - in fact, even though it says it takes 4-6 days, my last foreign shipment got there in 3.

I understand the insurance thing, but its either have them pay the huge custom duty because you have to declare full value, or just send it without insurance - your call bud

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
What's the best way to get the gear to him/her, insure it for our protection and minimize the import taxation/duties? FWIW, I won't lie and call it a "gift" so we can forget that option.

A few ways:

1: declare it as a commercial sample and clearly write "commercial sample no retail value" on the slip. Even though It's of no commercial value to the recipient it will cost you should the item go missing so insure it for whatever amount you like.

2: Tick "other" on the customs slip and clearly write on both the slip and the package "goods being returned to (country) after repair under warranty"

Even if the guy is hit with duty (unlikely if you use the 2 methods above) he can claim back the duty....... all he has to do is to send the customs the original "incoming" customs slip and senders details (best to cut the details from the package and send them in a jiffy bag) If he can provide proof that the item was sent back to the sender his duty charges will be refunded....... so, you go to the post office and send a blank envelope (nothing in it) to the sender...... get a proof of posting certificate from the post office and send the details to the customs........ this will prove the item has been returned to the country of origin and "voila" you'll get the duty refunded.

I really don't want to get into the nitty gritty of this but I have never once been stung by customs using the "sample" or "item being returned after warranty repair" blah blah.

It's not kosher but neither are the customs.

Mike.

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 13
I guess it depends on the value of the item you would be shipping - whether or not you'd be comfortable dealing with such amount of money if thing do go wrong.

My stepfather deals in sports memorabilia and ships large amount of items overseas on fairly regular basis. He almost always uses Global Express Mail since it actually provides tracking unlike Global Priority. Also, he always insures items for their full value, unless specifically requested by a buyer not to do so (in which case buyer assumes full responsibility if someting happens to the package), and notifies all potential international customers that they're responsible for tax and dutie that come along with their purchase. Of course, most of the items he deals with cost a lot more than most items dealt here on the forum, and most of his customers consider such expenses part of purchases.

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 13
You can insure "samples" that are of no commercial value to the "recipient"
wink.gif

Trust me you can insure a declared $20 value package for $1000 (or more) if you know what you're doing.

EDIT: I wont post anymore on this subject.

Jun 26, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
You can insure "samples" that are of no commercial value to the "recipient"
wink.gif

Trust me you can insure a declared $20 value package for $1000 (or more) if you know what you're doing.

EDIT: I wont post anymore on this subject.

Uhmm, I was always thinking about that if it's possible. I thought the declared value must be as high as the insured. Do you write the insured value on the customs slip or is it just left in the records of the Post Office and stated on the receipt they give you?

Jun 26, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 13
Give the buyer 2 options.

1. Declare the full value of the package and insure it. If anything goes wrong you (the seller) will be responsible for the loss which insurance should cover.
2. Declare the package worth very little or as a gift. The sellers involvement basically ends at shipment. If anything goes wrong the buyer is responsible for the loss.

Jun 26, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
Uhmm, I was always thinking about that if it's possible. I thought the declared value must be as high as the insured. Do you write the insured value on the customs slip or is it just left in the records of the Post Office and stated on the receipt they give you?

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking to myself "shut the screw up!"

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 13
I got away with brand new Stax headphone + energizer declared for AUS 200. But it's really risky since my insured value was also 200 bucks, so if anything went wrong, I'd be so screwed.

Pink's ideas sound pretty good. I especially like the second one (returned goods from repair). Since I guess you are selling your used gear, so I think it's not gonna be suspicious.

What's the item and how much does it worth anyway ? If it's around 200-ish, I reckon just declare the original value, you won't be hit by duty. Unless the customs were having a bad day....

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 13
When I got an amp worth over 1000 USD, I used the warranty return trick - worked like a charm. Since then I've always used it. Customs here will hit you if the goods are worth over about 50 dollars. And not only that but it can be a lot of time and effort to get it back. Customs don't just charge the 10% gst here but a tariff on top of that which can be 15% or more IIRC. I think additional charges may apply - just check to be sure. www.customs.gov.au

One other tip - package stuff way more securely than you would if you were shipping US domestic. I don't know what it is about packages being shipped to Australia but just today I received a package which had a huge dint in it, and every package I've ever received has had at least one or two major dings in it. Double box if you can! Use copious amounts of bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts.

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 13
Once had cd3000s shipped to me (by a large reputable vendor) marked as a $20 headphone gift. My heart skipped a beat to think what would have happened if it had been damaged in transit.

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 13
If you send by POST (not courier) to Australia and the value is $200US, the receiver won't have to pay any duties or taxes. I would insure for the full value and write the full value on the package in this case. Always use POST to Australia because we can get away with higher value purchases and not be charged duties and tax.

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 13
as a general rule of thumb, when sending via the postal service, you won't be charged duty and gst on packages with a declared value of under 1000aud. via courier, it usually starts at 250aud but again depends on the mood of the customs agent. i've been sent 1500aud packages via courier and not been charged a cent of duty/gst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back