Need some suggestions
Mar 15, 2006 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Exopaladin

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Currently I'm searching around for some new cans, at the moment I've got a pair of HD280's which I'm currently trying to return for a refund or replacement due to the headband cracking issue. Gives me an excuse to buy some different cans anyhow.
biggrin.gif

Mostly I listen to various types of metal, anything from gothic to power/speed metal to industrial German metal although not really death metal much. I'm not too worried about tons of bass, as the HD280's were never overly strong in that respect.

Now, my budget is up to about £100-130 (Works out at roughly US$220), possibly more if it'll be really worth it. Closed cans are an absolute must due to where I'll be listening to them and not wanting to bother nearby people/hear background noise.

I'll also be using them for gaming so a decent soundstage would be useful, and reasonable levels comfort is another must due to wearing them for long periods of time. I'll mostly be driving them from my PC (Old SB Live! Value sound card) and I don't currently have a headphone amp. I would consider buying one if it was really required and it's possible to get one within the budget constraints.

I've heard the DT770's should be fairly close to what I'm looking for, but just wanted to see if there were any other suggestions or comments before I go spend money.

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 15
Two votes for the ATH-A900 so far then, what are they like sound wise for what I'm looking for? Not read a lot about them. I'll also have to look into importing them from either the US or Singapore which might be a pain, as I'm having trouble finding a site in England that sells them.

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 15
audiocubes sell them and they ship worldwide. They are probably some of the best phones you can get for gaming, some even say they are overkill and to just get the A500. But if you also listen to music then I say the A900. Plus they sound great without an amp.

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 15
Ah, yeah. Music takes priority over gaming, I'm not too worried about gaming, as long as whatever I end up with isn't much worse than my HD280s, I'd definitely go with the ATH-a900s if they're better for music. Although I'll see what else is suggested first, as I've got a few days to decide.

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 15
A900 is more balanced than the DT770, which has gigantic bass that dominates everything. Also, it's easier to drive from normal soundcards. DT770 requires amping, usually.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Sounds like the ATH-A900s would be good, the only thing putting me off is all the import duty/VAT etc I'll probably end up paying. From what I'm seeing so far it'll probably be another 20-30% (£30/$51) on top of the price of the headphones.
frown.gif

Any other headphone suggestions anyone? I'd prefer to buy within the UK/EU if possible, but if there's nothing else that'll compare with the A900's I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the tax.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 15
Thats the thing with import tax you may or may not get stung.You may aswell accept the fact that, you more than likely will be charged and if you dont well then its a bonus.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 15
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking at the moment, really I could do without paying the extra tax at the moment, as there's other things I want to buy, the large chance of getting stung kinda puts me off ordering, at least until I'm sure there's no comparable cans I can buy within the EU/UK. :/

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 15
Looks like the only higher end AT headphones they sell are the ath-910pro (Which I'm assuming by price are rather worse than the ath-900s) and the ath-pro700. Currently I'm searching around to see if there's anything made by easier to come by companies that meets my requirements.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 15
If you find somewhere to purchase your a900s in europe or uk leave a link in the post,ive been looking at them too but i thought the only option was through audiocubes.

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 15
I've been looking at the ATH-A500, ATH-A700, and ATH-A900 too, and frustrated to find that nobody in Europe seems to sell them. The only Audio-Technica's I can find in Finland are the ATH-M20 and ATH-M30, the latter of which might be a good option.

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 15
There's a place in Singapore www.bluetin.com that ship worldwide, but it's about the same price as at audiocubes.

Anyone have any comments as to how the DT770-80 would be unamped or with a cmoy such as this with regards to what I wanted, I know they've supposed got lots of bass, but does the bass end up obscuring/overpowering guitars or anything too much?

I was also thinking perhaps the K271S or DT250-80, but I could use more feedback.

Any other suggestions for headphones that would be decent with a cheap amp like that one, or unamped would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back