need some suggestion on sub $200 computer speakers
Nov 19, 2013 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wwlc21

New Head-Fier
i am looking for a new set of all rounded computer speakers. since i game, watch HD movies, listen to mostly R&B and classical music. i would need an all rounded set sub $200.

i am looking at 2.1 or powered 2.0 monitors. (i have an Asus DX 7.1 onboard i don't want to waste it going for an amp and passive)

spent a few days reading up reviews i have came to the following three. please give me some recommendations. thank you.

NOT IN ORDER:
1. H/K sound stick III $170
2. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 $140
3. Monoprice 5" monitor

any comments are welcome. thx

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 7
  I am looking for a new set of all rounded computer speakers. since i game, watch HD movies, listen to mostly R&B and classical music. i would need an all rounded set sub $200.
I am looking at 2.1 or powered 2.0 monitors. (I have an Asus DX 7.1 on-board I don't want to waste it going for an amp and passive)
spent a few days reading up reviews i have came to the following three. please give me some recommendations. thank you.
NOT IN ORDER:
3. Audioengine A2+

MP5 (Monoprice 5") studio monitors, $166.
They seem to be rebranded M-Audio BX5
I've been using mine for a few days, they are going to replace my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 7
oh i read about them when i researched and completely forgotten about it......i should add it to the list and remove A2+ as an option.....

anyways....with these 5" monoprice, how do the bass sound? what are your comments on the mids, mid-bass and low-bass? my preference with bass sounds are not thumbing but i need it to be solid. i would like your words on it? thank you.

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 7
  i am looking for a new set of all rounded computer speakers. since i game, watch HD movies, listen to mostly R&B and classical music. i would need an all rounded set sub $200.

i am looking at 2.1 or powered 2.0 monitors. (i have an Asus DX 7.1 onboard i don't want to waste it going for an amp and passive)

NOT IN ORDER:
3. Monoprice 5" monitor

any comments are welcome. thx

I received the Samson MediaONE 4a powered monitors as a gift, but I imagine they are in the sub $200 range. 

So far, after a month of listening to them, I am really impressed with the sound. They sound a heck of a lot clearer than the prexisiting 5.1 and 2.1 systems set up in the house. You may want to add them to your list.

Cheers 

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 7
  oh i read about them when i researched and completely forgotten about it......i should add it to the list and remove A2+ as an option.....

anyways....with these 5" monoprice, how do the bass sound? what are your comments on the mids, mid-bass and low-bass? my preference with bass sounds are not thumbing but i need it to be solid. i would like your words on it? thank you.

I guess so far they sound good, so far only have tested with 3 or 4 songs.
Did not notice a big difference from headphones.
Not sure I've got the knowledge to describe the different levels of bass.

I live in an apartment, want to test louder volumes with I know the neighbor is not home.
Tomorrow I'm going to try a Blu-ray movie, Thor (2011), in 2-channel stereo audio,
I watched it last week in headphone surround sound :), will see how much a difference the speakers make.

There is one knob on the back that I'm trying to figure out, the "HF Level".
My brain is a little slow figuring out what setting to use.
Also might try to get monitor stands so the monitor point directly at my head.
Also have to see what speaker setting on my STX work best.

Right now I doubt I could have done any better, at the price range.

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Honestly, if you can find some used Klipsch iFi 2.1 speakers, they will beat everything below $500 range out of the water (vs other computer audio).

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #7 of 7
There is one knob on the back that I'm trying to figure out, the "HF Level".

I think it's a shelving filter. It's designed to help tailor the speakers to your room.

In a real studio environment one would use a microphone to measure the freq resp and adjust the shelving filters to obtain the flattest response.

In a domestic setting I guess you can set it to your usual preference.

This is an example of what it does.

It is not totally clear however. Some speakers also have a 'tweeter boost' control which does something similar by changing the relative gain on the tweeter. I don't think this is one of those though because it works on frew > 2K and the crossover is at 3k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back