Need some recommendations for headphones for my incoming Schiit Stack
May 20, 2020 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fenderbendr

Head-Fier
So I just ordered my first amp and dac ever, which is a Modi 3 and Magni 3+, and I'm looking for some recommendations for headphones that will take advantage of it. I currently have a pair of Creative Aurvana Live cans, and a pair of Audio Technica AD900x cans that I rotate through. I just use them with my phone usually because they don't need an amp.

I'm not sure if I want something more neutral with great detail that will wow me with my new setup, or something more "fun" like the CAL's but better. I mostly listen to EDM, rock, hip hop, and metal, and I prefer a good amount of low end and punch, with a nice high end that's not warm.

My budget for these would be $400. I was thinking of getting the Fostex X00, but they're very hard to find now unfortunately. Closed or open back is fine.

I'd want something that would be a nice upgrade over what I currently have, and something that wouldn't overlap the CAL's and AD900x's.

Any recommendations would be great!

May 20, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 6
I have HD6XX, HD58X, and Meze 99 Noir and they all sound great with that rig. I've got the Magni3+/Modi3 setup in my home office. I added a Loki Mini EQ but honestly it is bypassed much of the time.

All of these are about half of your budget... My next purchase will likely be the Sundara.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Since you have all the power you'd need, I'd definitely go for something that really benefits from good power. Normally I'd suggest one of the classic Senns (600 or 650), but they are definitely more in the refined / neutral part of the spectrum, which doesn't sound like what you're after. So instead I agree with the above suggestion to look at mid-fi planars, most of which really need good amping. Planars can come in a number of different sound signatures, but I am not a planar expert (yet -- just a very recent convert) so I'll let others give specifics.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 6
Used 2014 Sony MDR-Z7. They pop up on here in the classifieds often. If you want good impactful bass then stay the hell away from open backed planars! Even the ones that are known for good bass (Audeze LCD2C) are not even close in impact to a good closed back like the Z7 or Z7M2, even if they do extend lower into the sub-bass regions. I dunno man in my experience, planar bass is overrated as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back