Need some pointing in the right direction.
Mar 22, 2006 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

z3yram

New Head-Fier
Just a plea for help. I've given up navigating this place to try and find some headphones that fit my specs there just a little too much ><.

I'm trying to find headphones that will fit into one of two categories, the best I can get with outneeding an amp and the best I can get that are still portable.

Additionally they need to be $200 or less, as neutral as possible, and, if I understand the term correctly, as good a soundscape as possible. On top of listening to music with them, I also play a lot of first person shooters and rely heavily on sounds to locate people.

So far I've only come up with the Sennheiser HD595 and the Audio-Technica ATH-900.

Are there any other models I should do some research into? Thanks for the time.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 10
For a lot of gaming grab the A900s. That is their strong point although I use them for that application less and less these days.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 10
<Insert obligatory "For gaming, the DT 770/80 Pros are a good choice" comment here>

Although one could hardly claim that they are "neutral," they excel at FPS because their bass is great, their soundstage is big, and sound placement is outstanding. At least for Battlefield 2.

I thought about A900s, too. The main reason I didn't get them was because I could get the Beyers locally. The A900s actually LOOK better than the Beyers, too. Although the Beyer's velour ear pads get props from me vs. anything pleather.

Stand by for confirmation from Mercuttio, and he is much more knowledgeable than I.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 10
I missed the portable part of the post. The A900s are freaking huge.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
I missed the portable part of the post. The A900s are freaking huge.

LOL. I miss your avatar with you and the A900s...

Huge, but at least they look cool. The DT 770s make me look like a freaking dork!

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
LOL. I miss your avatar with you and the A900s...

Huge, but at least they look cool. The DT 770s make me look like a freaking dork!

You mean this avatar? :lol:
i shaved my head and am sporting my new 225s. I should be receiving my new DT880s so look for a new avatar soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 10
When demanding "suitable for ampless listening", it is necessary to specify what the cans will be driven from. My sound card can drive oldschool 600 ohm cans to ear-splitting levels, but a '90s PCDP with 2x 5 mW may have some serious trouble there...

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Ah, I'm using the PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook card. Thinking about it now, can my logitech z-5500's function as a decent amp? I know the control station has a headphone jack to plug in.

DarkNinja, they do not need to be a portable size, I'm probably going to go with something large. But I just like to keep my options open. Also what's the reason behind the using A900's less and less? Found better cans? Or just gaming less?

Finally while I'd prefer neutral sounding, because music wise I listen to just about anything, classical, rock, rap, electronic, jazz, whatever I'm in the mood, if I have to go bass heavy is the way to go for gaming performance I will go that route.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by z3yram
Ah, I'm using the PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook card. And answering an earlier comment, they do not have to be portable in size. I'm still up in the air if I want these headphones to be a small enough to allow for use while commuting. Only reason I included that comment in the first post was just to have some more cans to take a look at.

Something with low impedance like the can suggested would be best suited. (And if the card should still struggle, a PA2V2 or somesuch isn't *that* expensive.) As for commuting, depending on how you travel (more specifically, in how loud an environment) it may be advisable to use some closed cans for that.

Quote:

Edit: Thinking about it now, can my logitech z-5500's function as a decent amp? I know the control station has a headphone jack to plug in.

Logitech speaker sets are known to have very sucky headphone outs - better stay away from that.

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 10
: P. Yeah I was editing the post sgrossklass replied to, while he was replying, if any of you are wondering what the heck he is quoting.

Anyhow, just scratch the portability request. As the edited post now says, I just like to keep my options open in case I change my mind about something. If I went that route, I'd be using them for bus rides and around campus. Anyhow, I have a pair of er-6is that serve that purpose well enough. My only beef with them is they get uncomfortable after about an hour. But I rarely wear them that long.

From the replies thus far, I'm probably going to get the ATH900s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back