Need some piano recomendations...
Mar 19, 2004 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mclaren20

Headphoneus Supremus
Id like some things kinda like "Melon Collie and the Infinate Sadness" by The Smashing Pumpkins.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 7
If you're asking for solo piano albums, you can't go wrong with Keith Jarrett. Look for Koln Concert, La Scala, or any of his other improvised 70's concerts. His music is technically proficient mood jazz. Not too "smooth" but not angular either. Probably fit the Pumpkins mood quite nicely.

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 7
I can't really make comparisons to the Smashing Pumpkins reference because I am not terribly familiar with their music, but I have recently gotten into the work of a Jazz pianist from Cuba named Gonzalo Rubalcaba. He is an unbelievable virtuoso with amazing skills. The music is Jazz with a latin twist and it is profound. His earlier work features some mind blowing technique (chops) and his later stuff is more cerebral and extremely emotional. This is one badass piano player. Whew!

btw, nice avatar mclaren

Mar 20, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 7
Oscar Peterson. I heard some of his stuff in my history of Jazz class yesterday, and all I can say is "WOW" That guy is amazing.

As for smashing pumkins style piano stuff, I can't really think of anything that would be similar.

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by dohminator
Oscar Peterson. I heard some of his stuff in my history of Jazz class yesterday, and all I can say is "WOW" That guy is amazing.

As for smashing pumkins style piano stuff, I can't really think of anything that would be similar.

I may be taking this the wrong way, but the track "Melon Collie and the Infinate Sadness" on the album "Melon Collie and the Infinate Sadness" is a full piano peice. no guitar, no drums in this song. im not looking for Pumpkins style piano, im looking for piano like that song.

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by mclaren20
im not looking for Pumpkins style piano, im looking for piano like that song.

Yes, we understand. The guy who did the steinway link was just joking
smily_headphones1.gif
I listened to the track you're talking about and I reaffirm my Keith Jarrett recommendation. Definitely pick up Koln Concert.

Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back