Need Some opinions on new IEM
Aug 22, 2011 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Enigma974

Head-Fier
I just got a new phone, and I would like a decent IEM for music w/mic.   I thought i would go cheap and just get the Meelectronic M9, but I did not like it.  too much bass and didn't sound great to me.

After some research I have narrowed down to:

Etymotic HF2's for $75
Monster Turbine Pearl for $102

I am pretty sure both are compatible with my phone (MyTouch 4G) I may consider using a separate mic adapter cable, but i would rather not.

I am not a basshead at all, but some bass is nice and I like vocals in music.

for reference my current headphones for home use are the Ultrasone HFI-780 and I love them.

I have read the reviews, although there doesn't seem to be that many for the monsters which is one of the issues I am having so if anyone has listened to both or even just one and has some opinions anything would be helpful at this point.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 10
Yes the HF3's are the 3 button remote and I know they are not compatable with my phone, it is for the IPhone.  Android phones typically can only use the 1 button versions. From the research I have done the only difference is the remote (HF3 is 3 button, HF2 is a 1 button) soundwise they should be identical.

I think the HF5 is also the same with no microphone, but I am not positive on that.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 10
You should not change your earphones just to have a mic, cause there's plenty of adapter wires you plug into the phone, that have a little remote control with a mic and an earphone jack.

So the effect is the same as if you had bought some cell phone mic-combo earphones, but you can continue to use whatever your favorite earphones are.

Those adapters are available from Amazon, eBay and probably other places.

I bought 2 on eBay (that were also available on Amazon)  one of the two with an inline volume controller that works by increasing impedance. That would be useful if you used earphones using balanced armatures, like etymotic 4r.

The other one I bought simply triggers the phone to increase of decrease its output.

I've used both to make many phone calls indoors and outdoors by now, with no complaints about mic quality at all.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Android phones typically can only use the 1 button versions.

Android phones can use remote controls with multiple buttons, but not all buttons may work. 
There are some apps that enable you to use more than one of the buttons, or enable you to perform more functions with the one button.

That this is even an issue to think about, does show Google's sloppiness - to release an OS that doesn't automatically and properly handle audio functions from a remote.  The vast majority of smartphones are being used as audio players on a daily basis, so this is pretty unforgivable :p

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 10
I not changeing my headphone, I do not currently have an IEM and its not set in stone to get one with a mic but these two options seemed like good choices, not as sure on the turbines as I can't find hardly any reviews on them.  the turbines sound like they may be better then the Ety's but not sure. I would do an adapter wire, I was leaning (slightly) against because extra wires would mean more possible tangles.

so if you look at those two and think I should be thinking about a non-mic option I would love to hear it, these seemed to be top in their price range and the deals i found are cheaper then they usually go so i figured I would not be able to get anything better for under $100

I guess that's the ultimate question, whats the best under $100 since these are not usually included in that range I thought they would be the best.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 10
I see...

well remember to take into account the variability of ears...  judging how your own ears are will help you a lot in picking good earphones.

you can do a hearing test with computer software at your own house, or you can go for a test to an audiologist...

If your ears already have a built-in high frequency roll-off, you can safely buy headphones called "too bright" by some reviewers...  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back