Need some new taste cans who can WOW me
Aug 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

alxwang

100+ Head-Fier
I have HD650 and 580 and I like them. I like 650 better. 580 give me more detail but 650 make my ear more happy.
But I do not think I got what I expect for yet.

I want something I will say WOW or that's it when I listen.

My wallet is not ready for stax yet so I am think about the follow to try:

Grado 225 (wood cup?) - another route of open cans

Denon 2000 or even 5000 - close cans

Darth (close, opened) V3 - something really intresting

More?

Mu fav. music are Jazz(old, bid band), soul and classics. Do not like rock,pop and anything too new at all.

Thanks.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 15
Plus budget will be 500$.

I do not mind high end or low end. If cost less then I can get 2 at same time
beyersmile.png

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 15
Do you have an amp? What is it about the 650 that you like? If it is the bass - then you might like the Darth or the D2000. I have had both the 580 & 650 & I enjoy both my Darth & my D2000 more than the two Senns. I enjoy the RS1's for their upfront & detailed nature. It really depends on what kind of Wow you are looking for. When I want bass punch I go to the Darth's but when I'm looking for clarity I go to the RS1's. Not that the Grados are short on bass they aren't at all -- just not as dark and hard hitting bass as the Darth's. The Dennons are lighter than the Darth's but more bass heavy than they RS1. All three place you in different places in regard to the performance. All three of these cans Wow me at different times for different reasons. It just depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 15
It's hard to say - half because I am newbie and half is my bad english.

I mean something like make me do not want to take the cans off my ear. Something make me feel the music way more listenable then before.

Maybe tender bass, more feeling like speaker, more colorful sound?

I used have px100 connect to ipod via PPA. I have to agree I feel WOW when I first time listen 650 with DV332. Also I have same feeling when I got 5654 TUNG-SOL or first time use Zero DAC.

Thanks.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have an amp? What is it about the 650 that you like? If it is the bass - then you might like the Darth or the D2000. I have had both the 580 & 650 & I enjoy both my Darth & my D2000 more than the two Senns. I enjoy the RS1's for their upfront & detailed nature. It really depends on what kind of Wow you are looking for. When I want bass punch I go to the Darth's but when I'm looking for clarity I go to the RS1's. Not that the Grados are short on bass they aren't at all -- just not as dark and hard hitting bass as the Darth's. The Dennons are lighter than the Darth's but more bass heavy than they RS1. All three place you in different places in regard to the performance. All three of these cans Wow me at different times for different reasons. It just depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time.

I see. 650 is a common usage phone and actually no prefect phones.
redface.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 15
I understand you very well. Those Senns, while very good and rather "flat" sounding cans, don't inject vitality nor fun into the music. However going to my old HD600 is like getting back home after a long trip overseas. They have a comfortable sound that you won't find elsewhere.

I wouldn't recommend midlevel Grados nor the Darths for jazz. You might get a funnier sound, but you'd miss the correct timbre and tonality of the Senns when reproducing acoustic instruments. Also the Darths have unrealistic bass, that's too much to be true, but were you a basshead...

Had you a competent amp capable of some current delivery to low impedance cans, the Denon D5000 could be a good choice, better if they're modded. Unmodded sound good, but you might find them a bit sibilant, with the bass too present and in the bloated side of things.

If you don't have such amp, maybe the Grado RS-1 could be of your liking, but their very upfront presentation, narrower stage and lack of depth, could be a bit annoying at first until you get accostumed. Moreover they're colored and you could dislike the timbre they give to brass horns. Trumpets and saxos sound a bit weird to me.

The only thing I can assure you is that depending on what were you looking for on cans to resemble speakers, you might never find it.

Rgrds

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. 650 is a common usage phone and actually no prefect phones.
redface.gif

I haven't found one perfect one yet! But I do enjoy having a variety of different presentations that seems perfect for what I want at different times! I agree that the Darth's are not the best for jazz. I don't always find their bass to be too much to believe - it really depends on the recording for that. And I suppose I must be a bit of a basshead too. The infamous veil is what bothered me about the 650's. I know there is a lot of controversey about it - but to my ears there just seemed to be a lack of clarity that I was looking for. None of the other three cans that I have now have that.

Given your choices in music the Dennons might be the best fit for you -- but the other two definitely bring smiles to my face & Wow to my lips too! And I didn't experience that in the same way w/the Senns. They were more the stable "go to" kind of cans.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had you a competent amp capable of some current delivery to low impedance cans, the Denon D5000 could be a good choice, better if they're modded. Unmodded sound good, but you might find them a bit sibilant, with the bass too present and in the bloated side of things.

I just have dv332 and a small portable Amp - Pocket Amp 2 and maybe amp in zero can be counted too but I feel it is very bad with HD650.

Can you tell me how much an bottom line of competent amp capable for denon 5000 will cost? Or an USB + amp should be nice too.

Thanks.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given your choices in music the Dennons might be the best fit for you -- but the other two definitely bring smiles to my face & Wow to my lips too! And I didn't experience that in the same way w/the Senns. They were more the stable "go to" kind of cans.

It sound like denon 5000 is the way to go now.
Anymore suggestion? It is very hard to get denon 5000 I feel.
Thanks.

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 15
I don't know the Darkvoice, but for comments I've read over this forum, looks like many tube amps don't do very well with the Denon D5000s.

Of the amps I know, the RSA SR-71 feeds the D5000 well, but don't forget that those cans are very resolutive, IMO more than the HD600 and they show better the source character. My D5000 using the transport-DAC combo to feed the SR-71 sound very good, but using the iPod as a source, get very sibilant, almost annoying.
Probably any other small SS amp which can deliver enough current and is rated for low impedance cans, could give good sound feeding the D5000 if using a well behaved source.

Rgrds

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 15
I have not heard the D5000 but from what I've read, there is not a huge difference between the D2000 & the 5000. If finances are at all an issue & $500 is your total expendable amount, you might want to look at the 2000's and an amp.

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denons have that wow factor.

I agree, they definitely have a wow factor.
(Have owned the D2000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back