Need some new Hip Hop
Jun 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 22
I really like all of Cunninlynguists stuff, they have great production and a good style. 

Also Tech N9ne (Especially K.O.D.)

Brother Ali and Atmosphere

Kanye West

And Jedi Mind Tricks, but you already have that down

There are more, but these are who I'm listening to now for the most part.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
Instrumental hip-hop is in a beautiful ever growing place right now. If your into that experimental progressive beat sound you will find tons of it.

Here's some stuff that I've been enjoying and hasn't been mentioned yet:

DJ Shadow's new material ("I Gotta Rokk" and "Def Surrounds Us" are INCREDIBLE on headphones!!! Not exactly hip-hop anymore, but it seems hip-hop and electronic are fusing to form something new)

Gaslamp Killer (you can find a free 1 hour mix here: http://wemakeitgood.com/mix-series/shilo-presents-the-gaslamp-killer ; seriously awesome stuff)

Paris Zax ("Unpath'd Waters"; IMO, a great and severely under-appreciated instrumental/pyschadelic/hip-hop album...)

Blockhead (produced most tracks on Aesop Rock's first few albums)

Little People ("Mickey Mouse Operation"; check out the track "Moon"...very very chill instrumental hip-hop)

El Michels Affair ("Enter the 37th Chamber"; Wu-tang, jazz style...turns out to be a lot better than it sounds)

Free the Robots ("Ctrl Alt Delete"; instrumental electronic/hip-hop)

Take ("Only Mountain"; instrumental electronic/hip-hop)

Tipper ("Broken Soul Jamboree"; instrumental electronic/hip-hop)

Mike Boo ("Dunhill Drone Committee"; an album that happens when a sampler/turntablist gets blazed and lays down some freaky tracks)

Rubberroom ("Architechnology"; unique, brainy, intense hip-hop from 2000. A classic)

Non Phixion ("The Future is Now"; If you like El-P and Def Jux, you'll probably dig this too)

Nocando ("Jimmy the Lock"; left-field west coast beats meet hip-hop)

Notorious B.I.G. (had to say it...nobody else has and "Ready to Die" is still one of the best, IMHO)

Latyrx (funky hip-hop with beats provided by DJ Shadow)

Vinnie Paz ("Season of the Assassin"; member of Jedi Mind Tricks and Army of the Pharaohs, both of which kill...in a good way)

Also, here are some of my favorite podcasts that you might also enjoy: 
"Low End Theory" (mixes by Gaslamp Killer and the Alpha Pup Roster; hosted by Nocando)
"Temporal Fusion" (their hip-hop shows with Dr. Holmes are chock full of gritty NY style hip-hop)
"Brainfeeder" (Flying Lotus' label's podcast; hit or miss)
"The Beat Oracle" (new electronic releases)
"Bleep" (interesting mix of new electronic, hip-hop, and indie-rock)

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 22
Lotta good stuff here people-thanks for the recs.

An honorable mention for me goes to Smiff N' Wessun; it somehow made its way back into my recent rotation and I almost forgot how good it is.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #20 of 22
I'm from Canada so i can share some of the more famous canadian rappers.

Cadence Weapon - A slam poetry style flow over electronica

Shad - Witty, introspective

DL Incognito - Amazing beats, great flow

Disagree with the above post, TSOL (Shad's third album) is his most accessible and imo better than his first

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #22 of 22

Quote:

Jay Electronica - lyrical poet. check out act 1 if you haven't already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC5_8kXW240

After reading a J.Cole review on Pitchfork  ac ouple days ago that recommended checking out Jay Electonica, I did. 

Really enjoying it, straight away I thought he has been listening to Busta Rhymes & Jay-z.  Love some of the backing music on his tracks.  Think I am gonna have to go out and buy this album.

This track is my favourite at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back