Need some new headphones, but which ones should I get?
Jul 14, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #61 of 283
Azure,

You seem to be following nearly the same path as I did when I first got started with headphones a short time ago. You read on these boards and you get obsessed over the highest quality 'phones that everyone else is talking about. Here's the thing though, many of these people have high end audio equiptment with which to drive these great headphones (Senn 650's, Grado RS-1, etc.). My biggest advice to you is to start small, cause chances are you don't have the dough right now to buy a headphone amp, headphones and a new source (mp3 player, cd player, etc). Without the right equiptment to accompany your phones, you won't hear the difference between an HD280 and a top of the line HD650 and the 280 might even sound better. (All of this is hypothetical, not necessarily applying exclusively to you). So my best advice is to start small, go with something that sounds good but doesn't require a lot to be driven. And for now I wouldn't worry about getting a new CD player, probably isn't gonna be much difference between a $50 player and a $120 player, if you're looking for improvement, start first with encoding your MP3's at higher bit rates to get that better quality sound without spending money.

Hope this helps (once again
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Ben

Jul 14, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #62 of 283
The thing is, I listen to trance/techno mp3s. So, I'm stuck with the quality I'm given, which is usually ~128kbps. So, I should just get the V6s then? I'd just like to know then, which of the following is the best for trance/techno & japanese pop mp3s:
- Sennheiser HD280 Pro
- Sony MDR-V6/7506
- Audio Technica A500s

Jul 14, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #63 of 283
The 280s take a LONG time to burn in - even if you run them constantly, figure at least a month. Read my closed can review for my thoughts on them, compared with AKG 271s and CD3Ks. Gimme a week and i'll put my initial thoughts on the A900s in there too.

In short: 280s are good for the price, bass comes out eventually, but the highs can be harsh. If I were buying now i'd get A500s instead.

Jul 14, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #64 of 283
Ah, so is it like this:
A500s>V6s/7506>HD280 Pro
So, I should just get the A500s? Do they take a long time to burn in, and how well would they sound on my music genre interest, trance/techno & japanese pop?

Jul 14, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #66 of 283
What other headphones have you used?

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #67 of 283
Hey azure!

first of all welcome to HEad-fi the palce where you will eventually go broke
wink.gif

I never had the Sony v6 but i have had (and sold) a set of sennheiser HD280pro.

The HD 280s have an excellent sound particularly if you use them forr bassy songs. They are extremely isolating (in a quiet room you cannot hear someone talking next you you even with no music playing). I used it mainly from my mobile phone for MP3s and from my computer.

The only relaly bad thing about the HD280pro is:
- I Hate closed cans, the *thump* of the bass used to give me a headache
- They are TIGHT. IF you have a large head (like me) the would hurt after an hour or two max of listening
- Unless you are going to be in an airconditioned environment they get very hot very quickly

other than that they are an excellent set of phones for the money you pay

hope this helps

Kurt

Jul 14, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #68 of 283
Azure,

It sounds like you're Jonesing for the A500's. I say go with them because it's your gut feelings after what you've read. Go with what you think, you'll be happier than if you go on our recommendations (in all likelihood). The sound is gonna be real close on all of them, so just take your pick.

Ben

Jul 14, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #69 of 283
Yeah, I think I'm just going to stick with the A500s, but just a few questions:

-Do they take a long time to burn in, or do they take the normal ~24 hours?
-Is audiocubes the only place to buy them?
-(General headphone question) If I connected my pair of headphones directly to a video game console through a Y adapter, how would it sound? Would it be awkward because you would be unable to control the volume? What should I do if I want to use my headphones when playing on a video game console?

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #70 of 283
You plug in through the audio out on the front of the tv or in the back. On newer tv's there will be an auxillary input in the front. From there you can just just the volume control of the television to control the volume of your 'phones. Never tried plugging into the audio out of a console, but I wouldn't recommoend it given there isn't a control over the volume, god knows what would happen or if it would even work at all. There's always the amp option if that works, plug the amp into the audio out of the console and control your volume from the amp to your 'phones. Probably wouldn't work for you since that adds at least another $100 to what you'd be spending.

TV audio out is gonna be your best option there. As for where to find your A500's, you might try going to www.froogle.com and doing a search there. In all likelihood you'll find them in several places and can probably save a bit of money.

Good luck and I hope your happy with the 'phones you decided on (I'm sure you will be).

Ben

Jul 17, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #73 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkRange
You plug in through the audio out on the front of the tv or in the back. On newer tv's there will be an auxillary input in the front. From there you can just just the volume control of the television to control the volume of your 'phones. Never tried plugging into the audio out of a console, but I wouldn't recommoend it given there isn't a control over the volume, god knows what would happen or if it would even work at all. There's always the amp option if that works, plug the amp into the audio out of the console and control your volume from the amp to your 'phones. Probably wouldn't work for you since that adds at least another $100 to what you'd be spending.

TV audio out is gonna be your best option there. As for where to find your A500's, you might try going to www.froogle.com and doing a search there. In all likelihood you'll find them in several places and can probably save a bit of money.

Good luck and I hope your happy with the 'phones you decided on (I'm sure you will be).

Ben

The thing is, the TV in my room has only mono sound and I definetly don't want to listen to mono sound with my new headphones.

Jul 17, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #75 of 283
Hmm...okay, I think I'm going to stick with the A500s. They seem to always get a positive review (except when compared to those more expensive headphones) and they look real nice. But I was hoping for an under $100 headphone (A500 is $109). What do you think are the chances of a price drop for the A500 happening within the next few months?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back