Need some new headphones, but which ones should I get?
Jul 8, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #46 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Since the A900s are better, could you still try 2-3 of my techno mp3s on your headphones?

Sure, if you like. Be aware that one of the A900's charms is that it tends to make everything sound good (this is one reason why people have warned against using them as mixing phones), so if I like it on the A900's, it's not a guarantee that they'll be good on the V6. I'll be more than happy to give a listen, though.

I'll PM you in a minute with contact details.

Jul 8, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #47 of 283
Quote:

very strong high

when people say highs, its refering to the treble. the higher frequencies produce from the sony v6 are abundance and can cause fatigueness if you are sensitive to them. we refer to headphones like this as being bright, there are different levels of it though. in this case its too bright for me.

i didnt like the v6 very much. bass was way too powerful, mids are very recessed, and the extremely sharp trebles. its good for monitoring, but the 'sound signature' was too cold and wasn't suitable for music. this is just my opinion on them.

about isolation: i tried the v6 and others headphones with similar midsized and closed earcups. it really depend where you use it. you probably wont be annopying anyone in public with them until you blast them very high volume that will damage your hearings. when you walk in downtown, ride buses, or in cafes, they dont really block out noises, but muffle them down.

about the earpads: well they are worn into the headphones, so you would have to cut it up or rip them apart to not have it work anymore. i wouldnt worry too much about their lifespan, they will last a long while. its a good idea to wash them once awhile though, make stuffs inside softer.

i never had too much problem from geting sweats from the v6 earpads. but that is because i can constantly take off my headphone for a quick seconds breather every 10-15minutes, not like wear it 14hours straight like some people here claim they do.

the v6 might be good for trance in some ways. people here prefer headphones that are forward and have an active sound for trance music.

Quote:

Also, what do you think are the chances of a 50+ hours burned-in cd player-included headphone sounding better than the MDR-V6s?

if the fatigueness of the v6 is taken out of regard (for me only), then it would outperform the stock earbuds. there is a very slim chance the cheaper stock headphones can compare with the v6 in term of overall sound quality, but a $35 portapro can. (a supra-arual, open, portable headphone, worth looking into if you want something affordable.)

one last thing, do not forget you dont have to start off by spending $300 to have a good sounding headphone. there are many varieties out there for the sub-$100 price range. maybe look into 'canalphones'. headphone.com (headroom) have a wide selection and short descriptions for each headphone (though i dont agree with them all the time). you can use the search function, which is an invaluable tool in this forum to look up past dicussions of the headphone you are interested in.

Jul 8, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #48 of 283
i've got $120 budget, which cant flex much
and from the cans i've heard senns seem to be the way to go
so which sennheiser cans should i get
hd-500
hd-525
hd-535DSP
hd-570
thanks

Jul 8, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #49 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy me
i've got $120 budget, which cant flex much
and from the cans i've heard senns seem to be the way to go
so which sennheiser cans should i get
hd-500
hd-525
hd-535DSP
hd-570
thanks

Scratch off the HD500 and the HD570. Both of them are way overpriced for the sound quality. The HD500 is dark, woolly and muddy sounding; the HD570, harsh, murky and incoherent. And the HD525 is so-so, as well. The HD535 is almost there, but the bass is recessed.

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #51 of 283
I like 'em, I like 'em
lambda.gif

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:53 AM Post #52 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i didnt like the v6 very much. bass was way too powerful, mids are very recessed, and the extremely sharp trebles. its good for monitoring, but the 'sound signature' was too cold and wasn't suitable for music. this is just my opinion on them.

one last thing, do not forget you dont have to start off by spending $300 to have a good sounding headphone. there are many varieties out there for the sub-$100 price range. maybe look into 'canalphones'. headphone.com (headroom) have a wide selection and short descriptions for each headphone (though i dont agree with them all the time). you can use the search function, which is an invaluable tool in this forum to look up past dicussions of the headphone you are interested in.

Well, since I'm going to be coming from a pair of cheap cd-player-included headphones, I won't find any flaws in the V6s. But still, what's the difference between monitoring and listening? Wouldn't monitoring require you to have better sound, so if it's good for monitoring, it's good for listening?

I am aware I don't have to jump to these headphones right away, but I want to make a BIG leap. I also plan on buying a high quality mp3 cd player (~$100) too with the headphones.

EDIT: If anybody has any headphones other than the A900s, that are equal to or better than the V6s, can I send you the 3 mp3s?

Jul 12, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #53 of 283
Ok, everybody can get the 3 mp3s here. Please tell me how well they sound on your best set (Unless you have the V6s, then try them on that set) of headphones. Thanks.

Jul 12, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #54 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
But still, what's the difference between monitoring and listening? Wouldn't monitoring require you to have better sound, so if it's good for monitoring, it's good for listening?

The difference is that with monitoring, you need to know whether you're making a good recording or a bad one. You need a phone that will tell you if the sound is bad, so you know that if it sounds good, then it really is good. When you're just listening to music, you'd rather have a phone that will make even bad recordings sound good.

Somebody here had a story about doing mixing using his A900's, and discovering later that the recording had actually come out lousy, even though it had sounded good to him at the time. The A900's make everything sound great, which is not what you want in a case like that.

Jul 12, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #55 of 283
Ah, but they would still be good for listening, right?

Jul 14, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #56 of 283
How about the A500s? Should I get those? In another thread, the V6s seem to have a bad reputation. Should I get the A500s instead?

Jul 14, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #57 of 283
My suggestion is to go with the Senn HD280 Pro's. I just got my pair the other day and they sound great. A great thing to do is to open 'em up (quite easy) and do the "bluetak" mod on 'em. It makes the base better on both ends I think and gives you clearer sound in the highs. The Grado's are also a great choice, but given that you listen to a lot of Techno, they may sound a bit flat to you. Don't know anything about the Sony's, so you've gotta take it from there. Good luck with your decision, it's never an easy one.

Ben

Jul 14, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #58 of 283
I want a closed set of headphones, so the grados are out. I've heard that the Sony V6s are better than the Senn HD280 Pros, so they're out because I heard the V6s suck. So, now I'm thinking the A500s. What do you guys think of the A500s?

Jul 14, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #59 of 283
It's Sennheiser, don't let anyone tell you they suck. They're a great set of headphones, especially for the closed market, and for the price they have about as good of sound as you can find. This is especially true if you do that "bluetak" mod I talked about in my earlier post. Check out www.headphone.com and go down the products list to the Senn HD280 Pro, it says something like widely considered the best closed headphone. They've been a reliable site for me since I started with my headphone journey and they haven't been wrong (in my opinion) yet. Hope this helps, I still say Senn 280's are your best bet.

Ben

BTW: The "bluetak" mod was posted in these forums, I'll try to find it and post it for you. It takes about 20 minutes and costs 2 bucks.

Jul 14, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #60 of 283

Users who are viewing this thread

Back